gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

too late to plant winter type veggies?

I know it's late and Ive been complaining about the caterpillars eating my broccoli. But is it too late to plant broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, swiss chard etc. We have a est. first frost on oct 13. I can get transplants now at the local nursery. I may be crazy but it gives me something to do which helps me be less crazy. :shock:

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Seems pretty late. The swiss chard might work, especially if you can cover it. It may die back, but for me it often over winters and comes back in spring, so at least you'd be giving it a head start on spring. You could plant garlic and onion sets now for spring. Otherwise you've only got a couple weeks. Broccoli might be next best, it can tolerate a few frosts.

If you want to keep growing outdoors, look into cold frames!

jmoore

rainbowgardener wrote:You could plant garlic and onion sets now for spring.
Oooh. I need to get some garlic in the ground in the next few weeks. Thanks for the reminder.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm asking cause my broccoli went down due to bugs. To be quite honest this is my first time in the fall so I'm inexperienced as to what will happen.

I'm looking a planting schedule now for zones 5-6 that has Broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower and kohlrabi to be planted up to sept 30. with transplants I would think I would have a head start. It does have a disclaimer that these dates are for northern MO I'm in mid east of MO.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”