stella1751
Greener Thumb

20 Pounds of Peppers: Final Harvest

It's all over but the crying up here. Tomorrow's high will be 48; the low will be 24. The ten-day forecast predicts highs in the 50's and lows in the 20's. It's time to call it quits.

Today I pulled my Better Bush tomatoes and Hot Cherry peppers, the only plants I opted to cover during the freezing temps we've had for most of the past week. Everything else is gone.

My last pepper harvest, which includes the small 'uns, weighs in at an estimated 20 pounds for 16 plants, not bad. A nasty hail storm about 10 days ago dented a bunch of them, but they should pickle as well as the dent-free ones, right?

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/peppers_harvest.jpg[/img]

Tonight I begin soaking them in salt-water for pickling :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Stella picked 2 sacks of pickling peppers. I believe that is how the nursery rhyme went.

Nice haul, but sorry to hear that is the end. I'm just starting here with sprouts all over. We shall see what makes it through the frost than the freeze. Some are winter hardy.

Diane
Green Thumb

Nice harvest Stella.
We might get our first frost thursday night.
It's sad when it's over but it isn't much fun to be outside when it's cold.
Even the bees have been hiding from the cold.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

There's about an inch of snow on the ground outside right now. Winter is coming early in the northern plains :(

pharmerphil

Stella, thats a nice harvest, what type of peppers are the small ones you have there? they look like my wife's Red Hot Cherry peppers
Our weather took a dip, covered everything, now we are suppose to get a week to 10 days without worries of frost or freeze, but it won't be warm enough for much growth, hoping to get the last of our peppers matured a little bit more

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't been out in the garden yet this AM (too chilly!), but they were giving frost warnings last night... two weeks early by our average first frost date! But this was the year of no summer for us. Cool and wet all summer and then fall slammed down early and hard.

But here on the edge of the inner city in the city's heat island light frosts often miss me. So I'm hoping a lot of my garden made it through, because now we are warming up a little for a little while, until closer to our average frost date in mid Oct.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Phil wrote
what type of peppers are the small ones you have there? they look like my wife's Red Hot Cherry peppers
Our weather took a dip, covered everything, now we are suppose to get a week to 10 days without worries of frost or freeze, but it won't be warm enough for much growth, hoping to get the last of our peppers matured a little bit more.
They're all Hot Cherry peppers. However, I picked the little ones, too, because I could not bear to throw them out. While prepping them this morning, I found that many of the little ones were spongy or too hail-dented to use, and I regretted the time spent stripping each plant :(

Man, you have got to live in southern Minnesota, Phil. I used to live in Sioux Falls, and I do believe the weather there was colder than it is here in Casper :)

I did just as you did, letting the rest of my garden pretty much go, but covering these peppers to squeeze a little bit more color out of 'em. I read somewhere that if you tug on a pepper plant, loosening its roots just a tetch, you can hasten maturity. I thought about trying it, but I got lazy.

Rainbow wrote
But here on the edge of the inner city in the city's heat island light frosts often miss me.
That is so funny you mentioned this, Rainbow. As you know, half my garden is in my front yard, along the sidewalk, and the other half is way in the back of my yard, roughly 20 feet from a drainage ditch. I have been noticing all fall that the back yard garden suffers considerably worse from colder temps than the front yard. I finally decided the heat from the sidewalk and the street's asphalt keep the front yard garden warmer by as much as two or three degrees. Am I crazy, or is this possible?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Diane wrote
Even the bees have been hiding from the cold.
I know this is off topic, but check out this news article on AOL that I just read this morning:

[url]https://news.aol.com/article/film-blames-drug-company-for-honey-bees/695515?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Ffilm-blames-drug-company-for-honey-bees%2F695515[/url]

I've been worrying about colony collapse disorder for a long time; many of my students have written papers on it at my urging. I think this is interesting. Sorry for disrupting the thread with this tangent, though :oops:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

stella1751 wrote:
That is so funny you mentioned this, Rainbow. As you know, half my garden is in my front yard, along the sidewalk, and the other half is way in the back of my yard, roughly 20 feet from a drainage ditch. I have been noticing all fall that the back yard garden suffers considerably worse from colder temps than the front yard. I finally decided the heat from the sidewalk and the street's asphalt keep the front yard garden warmer by as much as two or three degrees. Am I crazy, or is this possible?
You may be crazy , I know I am. But that is very true. The concrete will hold the heat in and keep temps up a degree or more. Especially if it is asphalt that will hold more heat than concrete. Maybe I should asphalt my garden and leave little holes out to plant stuff.

On the bee thing, I got stung yesterday at work. One flew in and I didn't know and I guess I was squishing in on my leg than STING. It doesn't hurt though just itches. I have been stung many time before doesn't really bother me much.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”