Pebbles

Corn ready to pick?

Hi forum friends

I know there are some experts here where sweet corn growing is concerned. I don't have many - only a small garden (yard) however, I have about nine corns or cobs. Only achieved one per plant :( .

I have pulled back the outer leaves slightly on one of the largest ones to see how the corn is progressing. The cob is quite big and the corn or (nuggets) are normal size to which I have seen in the supermarkets. I pierced one of the nuggets to see if the juice was clear or milky and it does seem quite milky so I would have thought it might be ready to harvest. However, the actually nuggets look more of a creamy yellow colour as apposed to a more richer yellow that I see in the markets.

What do you think? are their different varieties? do you think my corn is ready or should it really be more of a richer yellow colour. Any help I would really appreciate. Not done so well this year (being my first) with other veg - I sure wouldn't like to lose these babies.

Thanks....

nes
Green Thumb

Corn comes in a HUGE variety of colours, from almost orange to white (to lots more for ornamental varieties). It's probably that you just have a lighter variety.

It does sound like yours is ready to pick. Mine was delicious!!

Best of Luck!

soil
Greener Thumb

sounds done to me, sometimes they don't even make it out of the garden here and get eaten on the spot!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah corn comes in many colors and shades.

Perice a kernel if it is milky white they are done. Also look for brown tassels that is another sing they are getting close.

Pebbles

Oh, thanks ever so much for your input.

There is one more question with regards to you mentioning the tassels.

I noticed whilst the corn was growing - there were tassels on the outside which have seemed to have dropped off. However, when peeling back the outer leaves to expose the inside cob, there are lots and lots of silky tassels surrounding the tops of the kernels. Is it these tassels that need to go brown or just the ones that were exposed on the very outside. Thanks again.... Can't wait to pick and eat :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just the ones outside

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pick already! :) Loses quality staying around too long after peak ripeness. That's why people do all those tests, because they don't want to pick unripe corn, but they don't want to let it sit any longer than it needs to.

Here's something Gary350 wrote in this thread https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16689

"The silks will tell you when the corn is ready to pick. When the silks start to turn a little brown you need to keep an eye on it. Do not wait until the silks turn brown and dry completely out the corn will be hard and loose all it flavor. When the silks are about 80% brown and dry they are probably ready to pick. It is better to pick early than to pick late and eat hard corn with no flavor. Boil a large pan of water then after it is boiling pick the corn. Peak off the green and brake off the cob end. Put corn in boiling water as quick as you can. For some reason when corn is picked it starts loosing it flavor and within about 30 minutes it has lost about 70% of its flavor. Don't pick the corn until it is ready to eat and put it in boiling water as quick as you can. "

So if the silks are browning, the ears are filled out including rounded not pointed at the tips, and as you mentioned at the beginning, the juice in the kernals is milky not clear, PICK 'EM!!

Pebbles

Oh thanks again dear friends.

I'm off out to get them picked - boiling water at the ready :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”