Jbest

Sweet Potato harvest for 2009

This is my sweet potato harvest for 2009. A total of 21lb 9oz or about one lb per square. I planted 20 squares with one slip per square (SFG style). At $0.52 per slip, I am not sure they are worth the space. They are Georgia Jets and I would be interested in what others have harvested this year, particularly in the northern climates. John
[url=https://thegardengalleries.org/v/Gardening/P9210001.JPG.html][img]https://thegardengalleries.org/d/28754-2/P9210001.JPG[/img][/url]

pharmerphil

don't know about Pennsylvania Jbest, but that would be a good harvest here in Mn. they just don't do well here like they did in my home state of Mo.

applestar
Mod

Looking great!

For next year, if possible, save a potato to grow your own slips next year. Since you have a greenhouse, you could even plant a potato and start growing them earlier. They seem to want LOTS of warms from down below to start growing roots. Once substantial amount of roots have grown out, then shoots start to come out. Last mid-March, I started slips from store bought organic sw. potatoes purchased at Christmas time, and they easily produced a dozen good slips/shoots. But mine didn't really start growing until early/mid April -- that heatwave we had helped goose it to start growing. My father said that you're not limited to the number of shoots the potato grows because once the shoots grow out, you can cut them up and root individual cuttings as well.

My sweet potatoes are still rampaging all over the veg garden, spilling out from both sides of the raised bed onto the paths on either sides, growing through the picket fence to the border bed on the other side (and FILLING IT :roll: ), etc. I did find out that you can eat the leaves. I'm thinking I HAVE to cut down the ones all over the paths since I'm having to WADE through them. :shock:

Did you dig yours because it's getting cold or because the foliage died down? This is my first year growing them. I was going to wait until light frost -- is that too late?

Diane
Green Thumb

That equals out to 52 cents a pound. If you do what Applestar sugests it will be much less expensive.
I don't grow sweet potatoes...yet. lol But I do grow potatoes in pots from peels that sprout mainly in my compost.
I get a few pounds per plant and it's free.

Jbest

applestar wrote:Looking great!

For next year, if possible, save a potato to grow your own slips next year. Since you have a greenhouse, you could even plant a potato and start growing them earlier. Did you dig yours because it's getting cold or because the foliage died down? This is my first year growing them. I was going to wait until light frost -- is that too late?
I have enough very small SPs to just plant them whole. It is said that you can transplant them at any size so I will be starting them early. I think I should have waited until a light frost also. John

2cents
Green Thumb

JB,

Last year there was 30 lbs from 4 slips and one S.tater someone gave me the 4 slips and the tater cost <$1.

This year believe I paid $0.89. It grew 10 slips and the tater, all were planted. Most died. Didn't have time to care for them. I added no chemical fertilizer this year.
Two are doing reasonably well, not great.
Haven't dug them up yet. But, I don't have high hopes.

Maybe next year I'll use a little 10-10-10.

TFA303

I used store-bought slips this year and they're hands-down the most successful thing in my garden. The runners are all over the yard and the beds, and they survived some critter that was chewing holes in the leaves. I'll be harvesting them in 2 weeks or so, I'll give you the numbers then.

Can somebody point me to detailed instructions on how to start next year's crop from this year's harvest? Can you just do it the same way as regular potatoes?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”