slapens
Newly Registered

Canning question

Hello All,
I need some advice. I canned chicken stock for the first time this morning using my new pressure cooker. The quart jars still bubbled for about 20-30 minutes after I took them out. Is this normal or do I need to process them again?

pharmerphil

slapens wrote:Hello All,
I need some advice. I canned chicken stock for the first time this morning using my new pressure cooker. The quart jars still bubbled for about 20-30 minutes after I took them out. Is this normal or do I need to process them again?
As long as the lid sealed they are fine, we did chicken and vegetable stock last year, they bubbled for quite some time after taking them out of the Pressure cooker, most likely at least 30 minutes... :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That is no problem. The jar has a vacuum in it and because of the low pressure the water in the jar boils at a much lower temperature. That is why it will continue to bubble for a time. It would not do that if your seal failed because the pressure would equalize. Nice going. I am glad to see people getting into home canning. It is about a lost art.

pharmerphil

jal_ut
you said a mouthful with the comment:
I am glad to see people getting into home canning. It is about a lost art.
Sadly, it is, We must pass this and other ways along.
If everyone took one person under there wing at canning time, many would benefit.

It seems like hard, hot and sometimes confusing work, BUT, after you do it a few times, get down your routine, it is quite simple.

applestar
Mod

Canning always seemed daunting to me -- visions of mountains of produce to be processed, dirty bowls and pots everywhere, stove top covered in bubbling steaming pots of varying sizes.... :shock:

I may get to that point someday, but so far this summer, hot waterbath canning small batches -- a few of 1/2 pint jars here, a couple of 1 pint jars there, 1/2 C jelly jars here and there, etc. -- has been a great way to get me started. All you really need is a big stock pot, cake cooling rack that fits, and a jar lifter (an ESSENTIAL equipment). I guess magnetic lid picker-upper would be helpful too, but I've been making do with a pair of long chopsticks. :wink: :D

So far, I've canned tomatoes, tomato juice, various berry jams and jellies, applesauce, and pickled watermelon rinds. :()

NOW, I'm thinking about getting some proper canning equipment, maybe even a pressure canner. I'd like to find someone to show me how first though. My friends and I are working on organizing a class with somebody's Mom. Too bad those of use who are interested can't just go visit you two (or Gary350) for our canning lessons. :wink:

nes
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:...My friends and I are working on organizing a class with somebody's Mom. Too bad those of use who are interested can't just go visit you two (or Gary350) for our canning lessons. :wink:
Great idea app!! Can I come? :lol:

I'm quite eager to try canning but didn't end up growing the strawberries I planned for this year. Since my little man has decided strawberries are his FAVOURITE food of all time I'm planning a HUGE patch for next year, and will definitely have to try canning some :?.

For now I'm just staring at the 10 cucumbers in my fridge wishing someone would come by and pickle them for me... I don't think I have the courage!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm wanting to start canning next year as well. Even thinking about asking for food processing equipment for Christmas. Maybe some canning stuff would be good.

applestar
Mod

FYI -- for my small batches, essential food processing equipment are:

- 4C/1qt and 2C/1pt Pyrex glass measuring cups
‣ 2C/1pt med mesh strainer for tomato juice,
‣ 2C/1pt fine mesh strainer for no pulp juice
‣ 4C/1qt manual Food Mill with 3 screen sizes
(I DO have a manual tomato processor/strainer that automatically separates the skin/seed from the pulp/juice, but I haven't needed it enough to go digging for it in the garage)
‣ All-Clad LTD sauce pans - 2-1/2 Qt and 1 Qt -- because I have to do something REALLY WRONG to scorch or burn anything in these pots
‣ Bamboo Chinese take-out chopsticks -- indispensable for picking/peeling off tomato skins out of hot tomatoes bubbling in the pot
‣ Medium potato masher (thanks Gary350!)

For canning, I want to add the canning funnel as an essential tool.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Canning funnel? Yes. Vital equipment. You can transfer hot food into sterile jars while the food is still hot. Definitely a plus.

Jar lifter? Yes. Vital safety equipment: protects your hands from boiling water.

Pressure canner? No. Not vital equipment IF you are primarily canning tomato sauces and fruit jams. I canned produce for YEARS (at least 10 years) without a pressure canner: plum jam, apple butter, banana jam, fig jam, nectarine butter, pasta sauce, etc. All of which either had sugar or acid (yes, a small amount of citric acid in the pasta sauce) to help in safe preservation of food.

One year I had an absolute bounty of pumpkin, though (found a U-Pick and went nuts). THAT is when I purchased the pressure canner. Oh, yes: for pumpkin and other non-acid, non-sugared veggies/fruits, pressure canning is the only way to go.

So, newbie canning enthusiasts, my recommendation is that you not sweat about pressure canning until 1) you know that you *like* canning and 2) you're comfortable enough with the process to add the extra steps needed for pressure canning.

And, BTW, I was self-taught. No one else I knew, either in college, in food co-op days, or elsewhere, did canning. After I had been canning for 10 years or so, one woman I knew was inspired to take it up. And then I found one other woman who does it.

And that is all the people I know who do canning. I have hopes of my college-age niece, but she isn't settled enough yet to think about developing her kitchen.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you can read and follow instructions, canning is not so daunting. I would start with the "Ball Blue Book", and then get all the information available from your extension service.

One thing for sure, you can't get the quality and taste of home canned fruits and veggies any other way.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”