nes
Green Thumb

Pumpkin with no stem

Opps Doopsy Poopsy! :lol:

I knocked one of my pumpkins right off it's stem. Is there anything I can do to cover the top of the pumpkin that will protect it? It still needs to be outside so it can turn orange :?
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm, do you have a can of spray lacquer? you could coat it with that. It will be invisible, but leave a coating on the stem site to protect it.
That stuff is nasty and may also kill any molds and bacteria already on the site. That is the problem with knocking a stem off a pumpkin, it has a tendency to develop mold and rot there.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

nes
Green Thumb

That's a good idea actually, I wonder if that would work just to preserve the pumpkins until Halloween?

Hubby thought up to cover the top with candle wax (he's so smart sometimes). We tried that and we'll see if it works :).
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”