thepassionatecook

Germinating seed from dried chiles

Is it possible to germinate seed from dried chiles, such as ancho, pasilla, guajillo, etc - or would the ripe, fresh chile have the best seed?

I know that the plant will grow the fresh version of the chiles, which then need to be dried, but I was just wondering if the seeds of dried chiles were still useful.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

How were they dried? If bought from the store already dried, I'd say your probably out of luck. If you dried them yourself, and didn't use high heat, then they might still be viable. It all depends on how hot the seeds got.

thepassionatecook

a0c8c wrote:How were they dried?
Dehydrated with a dehydrator for home use.

SP8
Green Thumb

I haven't had any trouble germinating seeds from chillies I've dried myself although I don't use a dehydrator.

applestar
Mod

I believe dehydrators generallly use temps of 135~150ºF, and it seems to me those are the temps we're trying to achieve when hot composting to kill weed seeds.... Maybe next time, remove/collect the seeds before dehydrating?

But you can always do the moistened paper towel test to check for viability of the seeds -- sandwich some seeds between moist~wet paper towels (not sopping wet), roll and put in a labeled zip bag. Put on top of the fridge and check daily. Add some more water if necessary. You should see radicle (root sprout) growth within a week~10 days, 2 weeks at most for peppers, I should think.

If they DO sprout, and you're ready to plant, then you can cut the paper towel around the sprouted seed and plant them, paper towel and all, at normal depth for the seeds. If not, you'll at least know they are viable. Calculate the % that sprouted so you'll know how many seeds to plant per pot when you're ready.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I've gotten around 50% germination from 7-8 year old store bought dried Anaheim peppers, and others (not so old) straight from the store, but other packs = no germination so it probably has to do with at what temps the pods were dried.

izac
Newly Registered

I am quite new to growing chili peppers but I have had no problems with dried cayenne seeds however some of the more exotic varieties are harder to germinate so be patient,
https://gomestic.com/gardening/guide-to-growing-chili-peppers/

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”