underthemagnolia

Cantaloupe?

I have a relatively small raised bed for vegetables. My tomatoes are going into huge pots, rather than my 4x8 bed to economize space. My question is this. What should I do about cantaloupe? Will it tend to take over the bed? I am growing zucchini (one plant) but I'm planning to trellis it to keep it up and out of the way. Can I do the same with the cantaloupe or would I be better off creating a separate little growing area for it (a pot, a smaller raised bed? Some out of the way space in a bed that hasn't yet been overhauled?)

Thanks for the advice!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A trellis would work fine for a cantaloupe. In GA your probably have all the heat that melons love so, it will most likely grow like a weed. They grow rather slow up here.

Melons and tomatoes are companion plants, so it would be a good idea to plant them together maybe along with some beans or peas. This will also maximize your planting area.

This is also how nature works, like plants grow together and take up all the space that is around. This way you also keep the weeds down to a minimum.

Bob

I had cantaloupe six feet from my tomatoes last season, and they took over the tomatoes and made them very difficult to pick. we're talking about 10 to 15 foot long vines with many varieties of cantaloupe. I think they’ll grow right out of your raised bed of the size you presented. They will work nicely on a trellis, If I were you, that's what I would be thinking about. You can train them up a trellis and the melons can be supported by ladies stockings. Just get the small melons into the stocking and hang them on your trellis. As they grow, the stockings will stretch to accommodate and support them.

I never did that, but I've seen pictures of that method, and it looks like it works nicely.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Bob, Melons certainly like the heat. My melons struggle along but, they do okay. Down, in Georgia where under is from, I should think that they will be prolific like yours.

Thanks, for the advice.

underthemagnolia

Thanks for the help. I love this board!

Pixie

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome. Keep in mind that melons, corn, pumpkins, radish and squash are all companion plants. You can also plant marigolds around your melons to detur beetles and nasturtiums to detur beetles and other insects. (though, nasturtiums tend to attract aphids). Oregano is a good all round pest protector.

Try to mimic nature in your garden and don't plant moncultures of plants or you will have problems galore with herbivory.

Franco

opabinia51 wrote:You are most welcome. Keep in mind that melons, corn, pumpkins, radish and squash are all companion plants. You can also plant marigolds around your melons to detur beetles and nasturtiums to detur beetles and other insects. (though, nasturtiums tend to attract aphids). Oregano is a good all round pest protector.
It's "deter" :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”