Oz Girl
Newly Registered

Giant Pumpkins, need help. Please

I have read a bit about growing pumpkins and keep seeing a ratio of 5-10-5 of N-P-K in the fertilizer usage, but it does not say what concentration should I have it at.

Yes, we are having a large pumpkin comp. and I would love to have a go good at it and getting the nutrients right for my pumpkins.

Can anyone help me, pleeeease

:)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It would be pretty hard to burn your plants with that mix. I would just spread some around. Take a handful and let it dribble out as you spread it around the plant. I think a handful to about a square yard would be OK with that mix.

Oz Girl
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for the reply, yep I shall do that :D

freedhardwoods

I don't know that much about growing pumpkins, but I have a neighbor that has grown the world record a few different times. One thing he told me is that toward the end of the growing cycle the giants will gain about 25 pounds a day. Most of that is water which means it needs a large, steady supply of water. He runs a slow trickle all day every day for each plant. Good luck.

rootsy
Green Thumb

I've been told by more than one giant pumpkin grower that you need to start with good seed from a big pumpkin.

I've been told as well as read that at the peak of weight gain a plant needs up to 100 gallons of water a day...

My giants are still struggling to reach 100 lbs this year... I got a late start as I neglected to score and soak my first seed before planting and the root worm maggots got em.

Pumpkins love nitrogen... Lots of nitrogen...

Oz Girl
Newly Registered

:D Thank you everyone for your help, that's great :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”