Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Cukes - South/East

Hello all!

Early this year, from the first planting till late July - we had great success with cucumbers. But once the hot and humid weather hits VA, within weeks, cukes are done!

I've tried "succession" planting (twice), and few days ago pulled the last cuke vine. Same thing - dead vines. After speaking with few local farmers and neighbors, our area is famous for "Powedery Mildew". The response I've gotten from most people I spoke with locally - "It just the way it is, enjoy the early spring/summer crops, then move on to a different veggie" And similar happens to squash, essentially to all of the same family. Despite all my efforts to keep vines alive the organic way failed. Literally, there is no one in the area has anything left from this family of vegetables alive for almost a month now!

Well, what if I don't want to move on? We love cukes (smaller varieties), last 2 seedlings National and Boston picklings went into the ground 2 weeks ago with hopes for just one more crop (can you tell I'm trying? :D )

To anyone who is in the similar climate/area, have you had success with mid/late cucumber crops? If so, care to share what varieties you are using?

For 2010, after doing a little research, I found few varieties that look good on paper (and do not bust the valet):

Gurney's Burpless II hybrid
Eureka Hybrid
Classy Hybrid
Calypso Hybrid

All of the above mentioned are noted to have resistance to most common cucumber issues (such as PM, DM, ALS, A and CMV)

Please, do share your thoughts on the above mentioned, or if you have a "weapon" of your own when it comes to resistant variety, I'd love to hear and will be more than happy to try it!

Regards,
D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

No one? Really? :(

I guess I'm just going to order all 4 and try it next year huh? :D

Regards,
D

dan1003

I'm in Va also, and had the same problems. If you end up trying those varieties, I'll do it too and maybe we can compare notes.

Better yet, if anyone else knows, please chime in. Sorry I can't help.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dan!

I know Richmond rather well, worked there for couple of years, off the Nuchols Rd, and the Short Pump area... Memories...

Sorry to hear you have the same issues with the cukes! My last two seedlings (attempt number 3) - are still dz free, and hoping for the best. But definitely will be trying those varieties next year.

Summer w/o cuckes is just not "complete" :lol:

Regards,
D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I wish I could send you some cukes. I just picked 52 pounds this morning. This has been a weekly thing for a month now. We do garden in very different environments. Low humidity here in the summer. We are not bothered with PM.

My favorite variety is Marketmore 76. It has disease resistance. Might be worth a try. Good luck.

applestar
Mod

Duh_Vinci, I've no experience with those varieties. I planted Picarow and Smart Pickle this year. Both did very well and did not get mildew -- I regularly sprayed with 10% milk as well as 2 or 3 times with AACT. However, the spotted cucumber beetles came and I think they were the ones that (spread some kind of disease and) caused the foliage to turn brown and die -- that and perhaps the sudden overnight drop to 49ºF a week or two ago, and continuing cool night temps in the upper 50's until just a few days ago. I liked them a lot -- fresh as well as picked. A few of them got huge and I cooked them skinned and sliced in stir fries. I put a whole bunch (like 4 cups) in a stew (actually chili) and they melted away after long cooking, but added a wonderful flavor and possibly thickening texture. I admit I bought both of these varieties on a whim off store racks, one from a local Agway.

For considered selection, I recommend you try [url=https://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CUCE]Southern Exposure Seed Exchange[/url] in Virginia. Their seeds are selected for best performance in the South East/Mid-Atlantic area, and they have many Heirloom and Certified Organic seeds.

Although for the most part, I have decided to make of my purchases from nurseries in the Local/Similar Climate area for best adaptation to my particular "neck of the woods" growing conditions (such as SESE above), I do plan on getting seeds for Japanese cucumber Yamato Sanjaku from [url=https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_cucumber.html]Kitazawa Seeds[/url] in California. My father grew this variety this year, and although I didn't get to taste it because his plants were decimated by a groundHOG, he said that it was a wonderful slicing cucumber with skin that stayed thin even when overgrown. KS has a really large selection as you can see, so you may find a variety to your liking, and typical weather in most of Japan is hot, humid, and muggy as well, although I believe the best commercial cucumbers are grown in the cooler elevation in the mountainous regions. KS's selections include Heirlooms. They also tend to clearly indicate varieties suitable for market gardens (mature at once/determinate, long keeping/shipping) vs. home gardens (flavor, harvesting/storage complications, etc.).

(Ha! I just realized they have cucumber variety called Yamato at SESE. This maybe the same variety and Yamato Sanjaku. It's certified organic too....)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”