tcarroll
Newly Registered

? On Indoor Vegie Gardening

Season is winding down here,got fall crops out but going to try an indoor experiment.

Just want fresh tomatoes in the winter,am I ate up with it or not?

Got two earth boxes going to put peppers and tomatoes in them,and put them in my shed in a small area about 6x6.Going to have 400 watt MH light and two T8'S on ceiling.Question I have is how much fresh air will they need as they grow.I have to enclose the area with plastic as the shed is not heated.During the day lights will heat but in evening plan on running small oil filled heater.Also going to run a small fan during the day.

505zoom

Providing at least some sort of ventilation is always good with enclosed setups. I would think that running the oil heater might increase the need for a good vent... might not though. Hard to say without being there, and this is probably going to be one of those things where you have to do a lot of your own experimenting to get the proper balance between vent and heat retention.

Interested to see what you come up with and how it works out for ya.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Edit

thepassionatecook

You have a very powerful light setup for a couple indoor tomato and pepper plants. I think the MH unit would work fine alone, but if you wish to use both then do it a bit differently. Instead of putting the fluorescents on the ceiling, position them vertically along opposite sides of the plants to augment the MH unit from above. This will encourage more uniform growth. The fluorescents should be about 3-5 inches from the plants, but the MH has to be much further away to prevent burning since much heat can be emitted from these units. You will have to research for the proper distance.

What zone/state are you in? Your setup might work in a slightly cooler area since you're growing in an enclosed space with a portable oil heater and a hot MH bulb. In hotter regions, your plants will probably toast. It's wise to keep these plants under 90 F (preferably 75-85 F) and to provide appropriate humidity and also a breeze from an oscillating fan for increased air flow.

tcarroll
Newly Registered

Got it hanging on an adjustable light hanger seems to work quite well.Havent moved flourecents yet.They are T8'S 32 Watt's each tube with two in a light.

The oil filled heater is an electric oil filled fin type floor heater with 7 fins in it.

I did put two seedlings in the Earth Boxes,tomatoes.Light is about 24 inches above them,heat seems to be fine.

Will see how it goes

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”