onelove
Newly Registered

MY FIRST EDAMAME SOYBEAN ATTEMPT

I am very interested in growing edamame soybeans...

but know close to nothing about growing beans, and can't seem to find the seeds locally.

Does one need to order these seeds online or out of a catalogue?

Edamame, when dry roasted... is so tasty that I've decided to grow them and harvest for personal enjoyment.

does anybody have any tips/suggestions/directions?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you contacted garden stores in your area, instead of the big-box type stores? They are more likely to carry something like edamame seeds. If you can find the seeds locally, they are available online from several sources, including Territorial Seed Co. :)

Tinybu88les8

I actually just planted edamame about 3 weeks ago and the sprouts are about 4" tall now. I'm super excited. I ordered my seeds from amazon.com and the company name is Hirts Gardens. I got all kinds of neat seeds from them for my fall gardening. I cant wait!

applestar
Mod

I have some growing now. I was a little taken aback to hear you are just planting them, then remembered that they like cool night temps -- and that onelove is from Florida and tinybu88les is from California. I got my seeds from Kitazawaseeds.com -- they're a long-standing Japanese veg seed company in California -- look under beans, they have 6 varieties listed. Other seed catalogs list one or two varieties (Johnnysseeds.com in Maine, for example). Mine are just starting to produce (I think the night temps in the 60's is helping).

Last year, I grew Edamame from organic yellow dry soybeans sold in the bulk section of Whole Foods. Obviously they were not sold as Edamame beans, but they were pretty tasty, never-the-less. We had plenty to harvest and I froze extras in their pods. I decided to grow Tankuro and Lucky Lion this year to see if there is a difference in flavor and perhaps bean size.

It's a good idea to get soybean innoculant to coat the beans before planting the seeds for maximum nitrogen-fixation. They're usually sold with the beans or in the "cover crop" section of seed catalogs (Johnny's definitely has them).

They grew easily when direct-planted back in early June for me. They do need to be planted when ground is fully warmed up, but that won't be an issue for you right now. I've been having problem with Japanese beetles eating the upper foliage, but so far, the beans have managed to stay ahead of the game.

They need full sun -- the ones I planted in area shaded until about 11AM are weak and floppy. They should be planted about 12" apart as they grow into sturdy upright plant with spreading leaves (don't think of them as bush beans). When they start to flower, you'll notice they'll flower from bottom up. Read the variety descriptions carefully -- some varieties will flower and set seed all at once (easier for commercial operations to pull the whole plant and harvest), others will set seed from bottom up in stages (I believe I chose this kind). You want the beans to fully fill the pod, but once they do, you have to pick them to keep the plant producing. (In fact, I have to go pick some this morning :wink: )

After harvest, I cut the plants at the soil level to leave the roots to break down in the soil and either put the tops in the compost pile or lay them under a winter sheet mulch layer on the garden bed to break down. I practice no-till gardening, but, I guess if you till your garden, it would be a good idea to till the whole plant into the ground.

Hope this helps. :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I am quite excited about the prospects of gowing edamame seeds. We did two trial succession plantings this year, one planted in April and the other planted late June or early July. Both made nice crops of edible beans. I planted mine in our raised beds of synthetic soil, as the beans like a pretty rich soil, and appreciate the extra moisture that my compost/bagged potting soil mix holds. Next year I plan to expand the edamame planting at least to double this year's crop, hopefully will be able to tripple it.

We lightly boil our edamame in their hulls in mildly salted water. We eat them as a snack much like southerners would eat boiled peanuts. I think that the edamame are much healthier than the boiled peanuts. And whereas boiled peanuts go very well with beer, they are a bit common to pair with a nice wine. Edamame on the other hand go very nicely with our late afternoon glass of wine. Edamame can also be frozen after a light blanching and will store for up to six months.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onelove
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your replies.

And another thank you for the advice that you all have given me!

I am more excited than ever to get started on this project now... and my "pay day" is tomorrow! haha so I'll be prepping my garden all weekend!

//////QUESTION////////

Do edamame plants die after harvest?

I'm a little confused on this aspect... you'll have to excuse me if this question sounds elementary.. haha

Thanks again, and in advance. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”