Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Spaghetti Squash question...

Spaghetti Squash question...

Someone gave me a packet of seeds, but the packet has no planting "zone" specific date ranges... I live in Zone 7... When is the appropriate time to plant those for the fall crop?

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

fall crop of spaghetti squash?

Spaghetti squash are a winter squash like butternut. Like other winter squash they are slower growing than summer squash like zucchini. Your packet should tell you days to maturity. Count backwards from when you expect frost and that tells you the latest you can plant it.

I checked and found days to maturity for different varieties of spaghetti squash listed as anywhere from 85 to 120. So assuming yours is on the quick end of that, the question is do you have three months until frost comes? If not you probably don't have time to do a fall crop of spaghetti squash. Save your seeds and plant them in spring once the ground is warm.

Plenty of things you could plant now for a fall crop. Here's a planting schedule: https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-7-8-planting-schedule

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thank you very much for your input!!!

Most definitely makes sense. The packet of seeds is generic, so it has no time or maturity info on it, someone at work gave it to me (she never grown it either)... But based on the maturity dates you mentioned - I really doubt that I have close to 90 days before the frost... Spring time it is =)

Thanks again!

Regards,
D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”