pepper4
Green Thumb

Round 2 for cabbage

I planted some starter cabbage plants that I got from the nursery about 3 days ago. Nights are getting alittle cooler now and we're not having intense heat so I hope they make it this time. Earlier in the season I planted broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower all which bolted on me. Lesson learned "Don't plant them in the peak of summer" Any advice if we do get hot days? I have another round of green beans going which I had great success with the first time and my celery is doing good. Just not sure when to pick or if they're going to get bigger. Any opinions on that? They are nowhere near the size you see in the stores but tried 1 and they taste good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a great lesson to learn. Commonest mistakes novice gardeners make is not paying attention to the individual needs of individual plants -- cool weather vs warm, sun exposure, wet/dry, etc. You are well on your way to being an experienced gardener! :)

This time of year in Ohio, we shouldn't be getting any big spells of hot weather. If you do get a few hot, dry days (I'm not sure where in OHio you are... it's been strange, northern OH has had a hot dry summer and we here in southern OH have had very cool and wet) just water them a little extra.

The celery will keep getting bigger as long as it's healthy and watered. Just be sure to pick it before frost. But in the meantime, you can pick outer stalks for use (gently) and leave the plant to keep growing.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Thanks Rainbowgardener! I live in northern Ohio east of Cleveland. I tried the cabbage broccs and cauliflower because nursery sold it. Fiquired it was time to plant. I have learned alot this first year thanks to you and many others. I am already plotting my planting next year with the info I got and the lessons I learned. Can't wait :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You can't always trust your dealer. I just gave Lowe's mouth full. they have had plants out for a month or so. Some are doing okay but some are not. I asked them if they are still going to sell this stuff to unsuspecting customers. The mustard greens were the worst, they were totally bolted and dying, it was terrible. Most of the other things were not in good shape but possibly would get better with some care.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”