brekehan

Fertilzer or Plant Food - Safe?

I didn't really see anything organic when I went shopping. Most of the packages had on the back "Write to distributor for contents" which really worried me. Is it so bad I have to specifically request the ingredients through the mail?

Alot of them had things like "urea" is that urine? what is that? and poultry waste, blood, and bones. Is that OK if I am going to be eating my vegatables?

Not knowing what to get and in dire need of something to feed the browning plants with I just grabbed the "best looking" one. It said for flowers and vegatables, so I assume they know I am eating what they are giving me. It also had the highest levels of nitorgen, phosphorus, and sulphar that I could find. Now I wonder if I made a mistake.

kimbledawn

I'm no expert but when you are gardening organically you aren't really looking for fertilizers you are looking for soil amendments. You want blood meal, bone meal, fish emulsion, seaweed tea, compost, humus, green sand, and some more possibilities.

If you make your soil healthy your plants will be healthy also. Look at the stickys in the organic gardening thread, that should help. Most people get their soil tested and then add what is missing.

I garden in raised beds and we didn't use any native soil my husband got a compost mix from someplace that was supposed to be top soil, sand, compost and clay. I put it in the beds and planted my plants. They turned greyish purple and stopped growing. I started looking up plant problems and started with a little epsom salt, color improved but soil was compacted and stunted growth, then I added rock phosphate, blood meal and bone meal, more improvement, soil still grey and compacted, then I added compost and humis to the soil, and my plants took off! :shock:

I folier feed my plants with ACT aerated compost tea, that I make and what I have noticed is that most of my plants roots are in the top 6 or 7 inches of soil where I added the amendments. I know that when I redo the beds and mix the soil and add more compost for next year my plants will really produce.

I hope this helps your search for balance in your garden. :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If you want organic soil amendments or plant nutrients, you'll most likely need to go to an independently owned garden-supply store/nursery.

The Big Box stores have neither the staff nor the stock to assist you across the board.

Find a small, independently owned establishment. The staff will be knowledgeable, and the owner happy to see you. Just be sure to purchase from them!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”