RayinPenn
Newly Registered

My Cold Frame Experiment (Fingers Crossed)

Ok, I have often been impressed by the number of October 80+ days we get here in on the PA-De border; Then I came across Elliot Coleman's book on 4 season gardening...I had an idea to get my 'foot wet' a little so I built 2 Budget cold Frames; Budget because I used plastic in leiu of poly for the 'glass'. Next spring I'll spring for the poly or scrounge some glass ..Ive planted carrots on 8/1 and put (1) on frame on that bed. I planted spinach, lettuce and some more carrots on 9/2 in the other cold frame.

I always get a little depressed when I see an empty, spent veggie garden in the fall; This year I hope to enjoy some fresh lettuce & spinach on 10/15 or later -maybe just maybe...

Id love to hear any cold frame success/failure stories. It may seem pretty fundamental to some but my wife and I had to clear a jungle of sticker vines, small trees and roots galore to have zuchinis growing in a sunnier location this year..Now I have the been bitten by bug

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a great plan. I don't have cold frames, but I do have wire hoops over my raised beds, which I can put plastic over to provide a little winter protection.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've had good luck growing both arugula and mixed salad greens in a cold frame in the winter. Keep in mind however that the low light/short days combined with cold temperatures will slow growth way down. In any event the cold frame will keep the plants growing more vigorously and when mild weather hits, the veggies will take off. At the very worst, your cold frame will be an excellent season extender. As you develop your technique you can easily expect to get greens two months earlier in the spring, and can perhaps get a bit of a late fall harvest as well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”