garden5
Super Green Thumb

Pepper plant leaves are wilted/leathery looking.

The leaves growing from one of my pepper plants are all coming out thick, cupped, and leathery. What causes this and what is it and how do I prevent it?

Thank you very much for your answers.

pharmerphil

are they still green and not yellowing?
Could be Aphids, which can be treated with a soap spray, and easily cured, they cause leaf distortion and cupping; However, Aphids can bring in a bunch of different types of disease also, for example:
Potato Virus (PVY) will cause leaf distortion and stunting
Cucumber Mosiac Virus (CMV) will cause dull light green foliage and a leathery/thick appearance to the leaves.
You could probably google those two, and aphid damage and see if there are some pictures, hope this helps

:D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

pharmerphil wrote:are they still green and not yellowing?
Could be Aphids, which can be treated with a soap spray, and easily cured, they cause leaf distortion and cupping; However, Aphids can bring in a bunch of different types of disease also, for example:
Potato Virus (PVY) will cause leaf distortion and stunting
Cucumber Mosiac Virus (CMV) will cause dull light green foliage and a leathery/thick appearance to the leaves.
You could probably google those two, and aphid damage and see if there are some pictures, hope this helps

:D
Thanks for the tip. I did some Google Image searching and g=found some conditions that where similar, but nothing exact. So, I could have some form of CMV as my pepper row is right next to my cucumbers.

I should also note that this is the only plant in the row that looks like this and it does not have any peppers on it.

One interesting thing is that the peppers of the of he healthy plants isn the row (yellow banana) do not look like the package, they are bent and crooked instead of smooth and curved. I guess I will have to start a separate thread on this subject.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”