Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Poison potatoes.

I found out today that potato sprouts and green potatoes grown in the sun are poison. I ate a sprout off of a potato and it just about choked me to death. I could not get the taste out of my mouth for several hours. I looked it up online and this is what I found. Scroll down to the bottom where is says, Toxicity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato

Potato sprouts look good, don't look too much different than bean sprouts. So I popped one into my mouth and shewed it up. Wrong thing to do.
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

SP8
Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:I found out today that potato sprouts and green potatoes grown in the sun are poison. I ate a sprout off of a potato and it just about choked me to death. I could not get the taste out of my mouth for several hours. I looked it on and this is what I found. Scroll down to the bottom where is says, Toxicity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato
Any reason why you ate it? :shock:

brekehan

Glad you posted that. I had no idea. Gives me ideas for homeade pesticide too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, tomatoes and potatoes are in the deadly nightshade family. I blend up some tomato leaves in with garlic, onion, and hot pepper in my homemade pesticide.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, and huckleberries, are all in the nightshade family and all have toxic foliage. Yes, potato tubers that grow in sunlight go green and the green stuff is toxic too.

The toxins in this group are called glycoalkaloids. All of the fruits of these plants may have low levels of glycoalkaloids present. Cooking does not destroy the toxins.

Keep your potatoes in the dark, and toss green ones.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I hope you are okay.

My drunk neighbor came over the the other day. I had some ping pong sized spuds on my wood pile from this spring.

So he's like what are these. I tell him little potatoes. With that said he took a bite out of one. I'm like You know that's poison? As he spits it out. Yes it was green on the outer ring. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wouldn't have killed him! I've eaten plenty of potatoes that were a little green right under the skin. I peel the green off with the skin. But even eating it like he did... It does have toxic alkaloids in it, but he would have to eat a bunch of them to feel any effect of it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”