gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Watermelons to pick or not?

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02728.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02729.jpg[/img]

Sorry can't remember what strain these are. I got them at Lowe's. they have been in for a while. It kinda has that hollow sound to it, but I'm expecting that typical striped watermelon look. Could they be ripe when all green? I looked at the stem it is somewhat separating as melons do but not sure if they are fully done. Any recommendations?

Another thing I have lost several fruit some decent sized one's some about plum sized. Took one off today. They got mushy maybe not pollinated well or some other problem. I believe the first 2 fruit on this plant have been removed due to going yellow and mushy. There are 3 left roughly the size of the one in the pic. I also had massive fly's on this about a week or so ago which I made a thread about fly's for if that means anything. MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF FLY'S!!!!!!!!:shock:

Thanks

kimbledawn

If you don't know what type it is I would pick it and see. If it's not ready at least you'll know that they are supposed to get bigger than it is, if it is ripe or if it's over ripe you'll know they are supposed to be small melons.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's not going to get more stripey. Watermelons start very stripey and as they get riper, there gets to be less contrast between the stripes and the color gets duller. Things to look for to tell if it's ripe include that the melon has stopped growing, the little curly tendril at the top gets brown and withered.

Look for the spot where the melon rested on the ground; a yellow-white, yellow or a cream-yellow color spot suggests ripeness and a white or pale green spot indicates immaturity. Also the rind at the soil spot should harden up so you can't scratch or dent it with a fingernail.

When ripe, the melon should slip easily from the stem.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I might pick it tomorrow. It doesn't seem to want to slip easily but it did have a creamy yellow color on the bottom. I have seen evidence in the tendril of splitting. Just looks weird to me.

rootsy
Green Thumb

have been told by more than one watermelon farmer, most recently one that has been doing this for well over 60 years... look at the tendril next to the melon... if it is dead look at the ones on either side of it... if they are dead it is probably good to harvest. I like to see 2 on either side.

I also look at the spot where it rests on the ground. if it is yellowing that is another sign of ripeness...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:It's not going to get more stripey. Watermelons start very stripey and as they get riper, there gets to be less contrast between the stripes and the color gets duller.
That's what has me confused. It's my first time with watermelon and they have been all green like in the pic since the beginning. Also this one, not sure of the others, was a bit tacky about a week ago. Like it was covered with fly paper or glue of some sort. Now it is solid no tackiness. I forgot to pick it or even look at it today. To busy with other things.

rootsy
Green Thumb

sugar baby variety melons have a dark green rind... Not striped like crimson and other types.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

sugar baby sounds familiar. I picked it today and still white on the inside. I suppose these are read as well when ripe?

dan1003

Yep, red on the inside as usual. I ate one this afternoon... not from my yard unfortunately.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”