gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Broccoli and cauliflower hurtin bad, suggestions. (UPDATE)

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02725.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02726.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02727.jpg[/img]

I'm embarrassed to show these. :oops: They are pretty tore up as you can see. So what do think tear them up and try again? Or let them go and see what happens?

I have been spraying Neem but probably not as much as I should (though not sure if I have sprayed since I put these in, I did today). The same thing is happening to my lettuces. most likely slugs there are some big mama jama's around here. But it's the little ones that are doing the damage I believe. This is a fairly new garden (2years) I have had so many bug problems I'm about to give up (see my avatar). I'm not new to gardening but I have never had these many problems, ever.

Please help me think of something I'm missing. :cry:
Last edited by gixxerific on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kimbledawn

I hope someone has a good answer for you because my kale and now my mustard all look like your plants. I can't grow spinach because they devour the seedlings :evil: I have tried neem, and soap spray and I wonder what everyone else is using?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Holey broccoli, batman! (Sorry, couldn't resist). That looks to me like it might be slug damage not insects. The neem oil won't bother the slugs. Type slugs into the search box on the upper left of most pages and find lots that's been written about slugs and what to do about them.

In the meantime, it's the wrong season to be growing cauliflower and broccoli. They are cool weather crops and I'm doubting it's very cool in Missouri yet. Start some more broccoli and cauliflower seeds in a couple weeks and grow them in the fall and early winter. They will thrive a lot better (and thriving plants do a lot better at fighting off pests) and the slugs and insects and what not will be going away because too cold for them.

PS for kimbledawn... exactly the same applies to kale, mustard, spinach which are all also cold weather crops.

applestar
Mod

I've discovered cabbage worm (diamondback moth caterpillar) infestation in my fall cole crops. Squished most of them. May go as far as to use Bt (I usually avoid Bt because I raise butterfly caterpillars this time of the year)... :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Rainbow I will check into that. I thought NEEM took care of slugs. It's so depressing to see all my hard work go to EDITED - PLEASE REPORT THIS POST like this.

I know it was a little early but I figured I had time to replant if need be well I guess need be. Man wouldn't be walking on 2 legs if somewhere someone didn't try! 8)

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Diane
Green Thumb

Good news. Sluggo is approved by OMRI
I see more slugs when it's wet and has rained a lot. I used this maybe two or three times and although I do still see a few slugs, they no longer are killing my plants because there are fewer of them.

Sluggo - OMRI Listed Slug and Snail Killer

Sluggo - Slug & Snail granular formulation.

Kills Snails and Slugs
Can be used around pets and wildlife
Remains effective after rain or sprinkling
May be used up to and including day of harvest
This snail & slug killer is an Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) listed product that is a unique blend of an iron phosphate active ingredient, originating form soil, with slug and snail bait additives. It is used as an ingredient in fertilizers. The bate which is not ingested by snails and slugs will degrade and become part of the soil.

https://www.thenaturalabode.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1302

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

99% of Sluggo consists of inert, undisclosed ingredients. There's a pretty detailed discussion here at THG, which started off as a "Slug Count" and then cast a wider net:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14010

Secondary toxicity to birds, cats, dogs, etc.--something to take into consideration.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Diane
Green Thumb

So what they state isn't true? I thought since it was approved by OMRI it was good to use.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Found my problem should have been more on it. I looked yesterday and found a ton of the worm\caterpillar in the following pic. I just looked at the pic and I only rally saw the one for the photo op but seeing the pic I notices at least 3 more. Also notice the spider webs in the pic a lot of goo my supe spiders are doing. Your all fired.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02732.jpg[/img]

Any ideas on what these are I tired searching but couldn't find what I have yet. Not a cabbage worm as someone suggested earlier in this thread. Totally diff color. I sprayed neem yesterday gonna go do some squishing now.

applestar
Mod

It's the Cross-striped Cabbage Worm. (It seems like they're ALL called "cabbage worms" -- are you listening JONA? :lol: ) Found some of THEM on mine too :evil: They lay eggs in clusters and feed as a mob -- they're worse than the cabbage whites.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks and no thanks applestar. Just did some reading and these things are BAD! I must have squished 50-60 or more on four plants. I suppose Neem doesn't help with control. I really don't want to have to battle these little boogers all fall\winter.

applestar
Mod

Bt is the way to go for any kind of pest caterpillars. Gives them a tummy ache and they curl up and die. :twisted:

Be careful of wind drift, etc. Don't get them on or where butterfly cats eat. So many sob stories on the Monarch forum watching their cats vomit green and die after inadvertently feeding them pesticide contaminated milkweed. :cry: At our house, we have 34 chrysalises so far, with about 30 more cats still growing. Already flew 7 butterflies. :()

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”