kgall

Squash vine borers

Yesterday I went out into the garden Nd found a limp squash plant. I lifted up the stem to find the telltale signs of squash vine borers. I searched the rest of the plants and found one more with a hole and frass. I did some research and tried spraying dish detergent and water into the holes and covered the stems with soil. I figured it was worth a try.
I went out today to check things out. Those two plants look the same but I found two more plants with the suckers in them! ARGH! I promptly, in a fit of rage, tore these squash out. One of them had one borer in it...Looked like he had just started to get to work. The damage in the vine was only the length of his body. The other had two borers in it and the damage was slightly more extensive. needless to say they were all promptly dispatched. I did not pull the ones I sprayed soap into...should I have?

My question...Am I going to lose all of my squash? I am quite distressed! I have 4 healthy plants left. I don't want to lose them!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Kgall, I wish I knew what to tell you except that I am feeling pretty rough for you right now! I will be watching this thread with interest. I had hoped the squash borer season was past :cry:

applestar
Mod

From what I've read (not from experience, mind you) sometimes, as in the case of the one plant that was JUST invaded, you can stick a thin sturdy but flexible wire in the hole and pierce their bodies.

I've tried this on a couple of vines using the wire bail from paper Chinese food take-out container. I improvised and dipped the wire in citronella essential oil every time I pulled out the wire. I explored the borer hole 3 or 4 times from different angles (since I found SIX grubs in the one plant that wilted and died) I then piled compost/soil mixture on their stems and liberally sprayed the foliage with 10% milk spray, then twice with A. Compost Tea at 2 day intervals.

I suspect though, that, unlike yours, my plants had been attacked several days before discovery. Still, one of the vines is no worse than before after a week and even produced a lovely squash with another one on the way.
The 2nd vine (actually a zucchini plant) had, unsuspected by me, produced an over-grown fruit during the interim. I think that must have depleted its resources because it really doesn't look well. I'll probably pull it tomorrow.

kgall

Went out today to find multiple holes with frass on my two remaining yellow squash. :cry: I pulled them up and dissected them. Yuck! I have now pulled all of my squash except the two zucchini that have no holes in them. I expect that they will be next though.

Between the vine borers and my cucumber problems I am so disappointed!
Will I ever be able to grow squash without these stupid bugs? I read they can overwinter in the ground...I pulled the roots up and we will till it up good...I have been planning to expand the size of the garden.

kimbledawn

I was worried at the beginning of the season about my squash and zucks. I was told that they produce abundantly and that I planed too many for my family :roll: Well out of seven plants I got one zuck and no squash. The vine borers ruined everything :evil: I had so many problems that I am afraid that planting them will be a waste of space next year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

One suggestion from my (mostly negative :( ) experience growing squash. I too have not had much luck, due to the zucchini root borers always getting them. Next year, I'm going to try to actually fight them with some of the methods that have been mentioned here. But in the meantime this year for a change, I'm actually getting some (winter) squash. They are from the volunteers that popped up in my flower beds that I let go.

So lessons I learned from this: the squash that has done very well in my flower bed is butternut, which sources say is less susceptible to the borer. And I'm thinking it may have helped that the flower bed is "virgin territory" where no melon or squash was ever grown before. So those are things that I will keep in mind for next year.

Diane
Green Thumb

My three butternut plants are volunteers also. I had planted the seeds a year or two ago and nothing grew.
One is growing in a pot with my pepper plant from soil I had mixed with new soil and compost. Somehow three seeds found their way to the top and sprouted.
I put another into a pot with a volunteer tomato plant and the third I planted in my raised bed.

This is my first good year with them out of three.
My cukes did great for many years, then very bad. I rested the area for two years while improving it with compost. This year the cukes are doing well.
But the cuke beetles found them.
So far whenever I find one I either kill it or scare it away. They then move on to another plant. I found one on a flower plant today.

kgall

Well my two remaining zucchini plants have survived the night...and most of today. I am still sure the svb will get them.

Not only this but my tomatoes have late blight! ARGH! I have been so in love with gardening this year and I have now lost cukes....yellow squash...most of my zucchini...and now my tomatoes!!!

I have planned to double the size of the garden so I can grow more stuff but now I feel like I might be doubling the heartache!

Diane
Green Thumb

Don't give up. This year has been unusually difficult. We had constant rain, cool temps and in my opinion, many more bugs and pests than usual.
If we can say one thing for sure about NE weather, it is, it will change.
Clean your beds well and plant things in different spots next year.

kgall

Thanks Diane! I woke up today with a renewed determination! I still have my carrots, green peppers, and green beans..The beans are almost done but they are there for now!
When the carrots are all pulled I am going to add compost and leaves and dig the whole garden up pretty deep. I will till it good in the spring when I expand it and start anew!
Instead of being upset...like a sullen child...as I have been. I am going to think of the vegetables I have lost as a learning experience!

Snorcher

I had two straight seasons of lost crops due to these little pain in the a**es.

I finally managed to get them under control and now know exactly how to deal with them.

When you first plant you squash, it is a very good idea to put a plastic cup around the plant.

You also have to be very vigilant. I went outside every morning at sunrise and would find the full grown SVB moths sitting on the underside of the squash leaves laying their eggs. A little coffee can and some dish soap and just pick them off and drop them in.

If you absolutely must use any type of bug killer I have found that Ortho Max is the best one for these little bugs. Sevin is also ok but I don't think as good.

It is also a very good idea to burn any dead plants that you pull out of the ground. The winter freeze does not kill the SVB.

I am a self proclaimed SVB expert due to all the experience I have had with these mofo's. :D

applestar
Mod

When you first plant you squash, it is a very good idea to put a plastic cup around the plant.
Could you elaborate?
I went outside every morning at sunrise and would find the full grown SVB moths
I SAW them earlier in the summer but didn't know what they were. Uggh! :evil: They won't escape notice so easily next year. :twisted:
If you absolutely must use any type of bug killer I have found that Ortho Max is the best one for these little bugs. Sevin is also ok but I don't think as good.
I don't and won't use chemical poisons. But I'm thinking of getting a meat injector and experimenting with different remedies next time. 8)

Diane
Green Thumb

kgall wrote:Thanks Diane! I woke up today with a renewed determination! I still have my carrots, green peppers, and green beans..The beans are almost done but they are there for now!
I am going to think of the vegetables I have lost as a learning experience!
That's the way to see it. Every battle I win against the bugs, pests and bad condition of the plants helps with the next time.
This year was my first good year with peppers and butternut squash. I had tried a few times and gave up.
Then, like you, decided to try again.
I found a small hornworm on a flowering plant today. I was happy I got it before it found my tomatoes. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”