MichelleBoley
Newly Registered

harvesting sweetcorn

:shock:
please help - I have several large sweetcorn plants, all have formed cobs - my problem is I don't know when the cob is ready for harvesting or opening - I really don't wnat to waste one opening it too soon - do I cut the cob off the plant, pull it off, open it on the plant -
very new to all this and very please with the growth from seeds, so I want to do the plants justice and harvest correctly at the right time - any advice please?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

When I grew sweet corn, I first tested it by squeezing it to see whether it felt like it had kernels. That didn't always work. The second thing I did was to very gently peel open the top while it was still on the plant. If I saw kernels, I picked it. If I didn't see kernels, I smoothed the husk back into place :)

bridgemontbelle
Newly Registered

Grow your own magazine has an article on harvesting sweetcorn this month (Sept issue). I've never grown corn, but plan to next season. Here is a summary of the article:-
The tufts (or silks) turning brown is a possible signal. Next feel through the green casing (what for, it dosen't say) and ultimatley to rip a small hole and take a quick peek. the kernels should be plump, juicy and pale yellow in colour. Stick your nail into one and if the cob is ripe the juice will be milky rather than white. When you have ticked all the boxes harvest ASAP.
Good luck

pharmerphil

after the silks start to brown, feel the tip of the ear through the husks, the tip will be BLUNT, if there is a bit of a point, or a point at all, the ear isn't ready

nes
Green Thumb

oh! good question, mine are ready!! I better get out to the garden :D.

rootsy
Green Thumb

silk will brown. ear will fill the husk and become a tight package. Ear will also fall away slightly from the plant. Most varieties the tip will blunt. This is not always teh case though. I have one variety this year that is blunt long before it is ready to go.

Just pull straight down and it'll come off.

If you pull back the husk while on the stalk and decide it is not ready, 9 times out of 10, by the time it is... you'll have insect or bird damage.

Also, depending upon genetic type your harvest window may be long ( a week or two) or short (as short as 3 days).

ageerdes

I just wait till the silk has been brown for about a week and like mentioned before opening it will usually result in bugs finding a home there! It will pull off pretty easy and you will be able to feel through the husks when its ready once you get the hang of it.... trial and error :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”