Earl K
Green Thumb

Summer Squash question

So I was at H.D yesterday getting supplies,You know when you go by the seed rack you have to get something,Right? well I did.I bought burpee's summer squash-Golden zucchini.Is it too late for summer squash,Should I have gotten winter squash?Or does it not matter with my climate?Any info would be appreciated,thanks

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Seems to me, in your location, that you could grow summer squash over an extended fall all the way into December.

Earl K
Green Thumb

Thanks Alex,Thats what I was thinkin but not really sure.Good thing cause 4 seeds are already in soil :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You should be fine on the summer squash.

If it was too late for summer squash, it would definitely be too late for winter squash. They aren't called winter squash because they grow in winter. They are called winter squash because they aren't ready to harvest until fall/ frost, but then they are hard shelled and keep for a long time so you can eat them in winter, unlike summer squash which don't keep so well.

Main difference is summer squash, like zucchini, are much faster growing with 50 -60 days to maturity. Winter squash have 100-120 days to maturity.

Earl K
Green Thumb

Thanks RG,I did not know that.So therefore I have learned something new today :D :D :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”