Tinybu88les8

patty pans

So my patty pans were growing great. No problems. They are still growing but I've noticed a recent trend. Every time I harvest (every week or so I get a couple patty pans from my one plant) I wash them off and place them in my refrigerator. The next day they are wilted and shriveled! Why does this keep happening? When I pick them they are of decent size and I assume they were pollinated because of their size. Any ideas?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know for sure, but patty pans are thinner skinned and more delicate than other squash. I found this about storing them:

Patty pans are petite and sometimes called scalloped squash. They have a thin skin (so be nice) and mild flesh. Handle them carefully and store them unwashed in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. https://www.everblossomfarm.com/pdf/PattyPanSquash.pdf

and

How to Store
Pattypan squash will keep for a few days stored in the fridge, unwashed and sealed in plastic. The smaller the squash, the sooner it should be used.
https://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/ingredients/2009/04/pattypan_squash

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tinybu88le8 wrote:
Every time I harvest (every week or so I get a couple patty pans from my one plant) I wash them off and place them in my refrigerator. The next day they are wilted and shriveled!
Hmm. Mine aren't doing that Tinybu88le8. In fact, I picked four on Saturday for a friend who didn't show up. I left the bag, with four cukes in it too, on the kitchen floor. The next day, I spotted an opportunity to effect a barter with a neighbor with leaves :D I grabbed the bag and ran them over to her. Neither veggie was taut-skinned with freshness, but they still looked good.

I think, though, that Rainbowgardener may be on to something with the statement that "The smaller the squash, the sooner it should be used." Mine had been picked at about 4" in diameter instead of the 3" recommended by Burpee :?

applestar
Mod

Stella, did you wash your squash? RG's quotes both say store UNwashed. :?:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Excellent point, Applestar. No. They were unwashed :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tinybu88les8, I just picked a 3-incher, washed it, and stuck it in the fridge. I'll let you know what it looks like tomorrow 8)

Tinybu88les8

ooo yes please! let me know. I think...now that I actually think about it...when I was first harvesting them...they were of bigger size and I didnt wash them...hm....I find that interesting. Why does it matter if its washed or not??

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Why does it matter if its washed or not??
I gotta be honest with you, I don't think it should. Given my vast nine-weeks' worth of experience with squash, you'd think I would have heard of it by now :lol:

I did notice, though, that the squash were covered with these hairy little cilia-like things. While washing the squash, these were removed. I wonder . . . We'll know tomorrow.

BTW, it occurred to me that I should know. I give all of mine away to the impoverished and to friends. What if they are all wondering what in heck I am trying to pull :shock:

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tinybu88les8, the patty pan looks fine, the same as the ones I left on the kitchen floor on Saturday, with its skin lacking the tautness of the day before but the same size with no shrinkage. I'm gonna leave it in there for a while longer to see how long it takes it to "wilt and shrivel."

Have you checked the temperature in your fridge? Maybe it's too cold :?

Tinybu88les8

no I havent....I guess it could be...but it doesnt ALWAYS do it. Ive picked a few that have lasted several days in the fridge...I cant remember if I washed them or not...don't think I did. *shrugs*

stella1751
Greener Thumb

It's now been in the fridge for 36 hours. It has a slightly pebbly texture to its skin, and it may have shrunk a little--if so, the shrinkage is barely discernible. I don't think the washing caused the problem.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I wash them off and place them in my refrigerator. The next day they are wilted and shriveled!
Do you wrap them in something? I think that all summer squash dehydrates very quickly, even in the fridg, because they are very thin skinned. Place them in a ziploc bag before refrigerating.

I don't know about the washing. I usually don't wash them before refrigerating.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”