gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yellow finch tearing up my garden

I can hear them now be back.

Alrighty than they are tearing my garden up like I said. I thought the hornworms and the slugs were bad. These birds are a menace. Anybody got any ideas to alleviate this problem?

I know I could get some row covers but I really don't want to have to do that. I was out with my paintball gun today in wait but of course no sign. Until I'm away from it. Than here she comes just eating away. :x

crobi13

What about fabric strips tied to the tops of stakes near the plants she likes most? The fabric blowing in the breeze should deter her.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There's an idea. thanks.

I love the birds the fly around in a cool fashion around my willows plus they look cool. I thought they were getting bugs, until I crept closer to see my plant shrinking with every peck at it. Swiss Chard seem to be the fav.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The finch is probably going for aphids or some other chard-loving insect.

Take a close look at the chard to see what's attracting the birds.

Then...Mylar strips fluttering in the wind were found to be an effective small-bird deterrent (USDA Ag. Res. Center not 5 miles from my house did the pilot test :) ). Hope it works for you!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Finches are in general seed eaters. Look at their short, thick beaks, which are adapted for cracking seeds open. They do also eat bugs. We keep a thistle seed feeder for the finches and I have never seen them bothering any of the plants. I grow a bunch of swiss chard and have never seen them anywhere near it. I think if you gave them a choice of seeds from a feeder, they would much prefer that to greens.

splat42069

We have 2 of them around here that eat the seeds from the neighbors Sunflowers.

nes
Green Thumb

We had a lovely little yellow finch flitting around here... until the cat spotted him :(.

Honestly I think birds are smart enough if you got a cut-out of a cat and stuck it in the garden they'd probably stay away. I know everyone vacates the neighbourhood when they see our girl go out in the morning!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Here is one of Swiss Chard's

I noticed in the pic I have peas sprouting up to the left of the Chard. I guess I missed that earlier when I went out. gonna go check again. :oops: :)

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02724.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”