brekehan

white spots -pics

I recently noticed a few white spots on the leaves of my jalepeno. Being new to all this I mistakenly left it alone. It is spreading through my garden.

Here are some pics. If you click on them and look at full res, they are more apparent. Can you identify it and suggest a budget efficient remedy?

[img]ftp://christopherpisz.is-a-geek.com/pub/images/Garden/white_spots_01.JPG[/img]

[img]ftp://christopherpisz.is-a-geek.com/pub/images/Garden/white_spots_02.JPG[/img]

[img]ftp://christopherpisz.is-a-geek.com/pub/images/Garden/white_spots_03.JPG[/img]

[img]ftp://christopherpisz.is-a-geek.com/pub/images/Garden/white_spots_04.JPG[/img]

[img]ftp://christopherpisz.is-a-geek.com/pub/images/Garden/garden.JPG[/img]

I've heard about neem oil, but have no idea where to buy it in Austin, Texas. A google search yielded little but online orders at $30+ which is alot for this starting hobby. I've already spent $100+ on other stuff.

I've also heard diluted milk works. I tired it, but it seems more preventitive than a cure.

I also heard diluted baking soda and vinegar might work. I am going to try that next.

Can anyone confirm or deny these remedies?

I'd like to pick off all the infected leaves. but every leaf has at least 1 spot on it. Some larger than others. I'd hate to skin the guy naked. I'd pull the whole plant, but my garden isn't that big. I've only got 4 vegies in there. I'd rather try to cure it.
Last edited by brekehan on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your pictures did not come through. Please read the Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members. Lot of good stuff there, including how to post pictures. Here's a link to the pictures part: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Welcome to the forum!

brekehan

The server that held the pictures had a power outage. How about now?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pictures did come through this time.

Baking soda OR vinegar. One's a base and ones an acid. Put them together and they react... used to launch bottle rockets and power home made volcanoes. Not what you want to do to your plants.

Here's a basic baking soda spray recipe

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water

Be sure the soap is soap, not detergent, which can harm your plants.

I have used the diluted milk to very successfully treat powdery mildew, which may or may not be what you have, and other fungal infections. However I put a couple tablespoons of yoghurt with active cultures in the milk and let it stand at room temp over nite, to activate the lactobacillus which is the effective ingredient in this and then just diluted it to 50:50.

I haven't tried the vinegar, but some people have reported here, that it works very well. You have to dilute the vinegar some and then be sure to rinse it back off thoroughly after it's been on the leaves for a little while, otherwise it burns the leaves.

Let us know what you try and how it works!

brekehan

I pulled off the leaves that had it the worst. Sprayed the plants with the baking soda recipe. Its been 4 or 5 days. Whatever this disease is, it seems to be spreading. I don't think the baking soda potion is having an effect :(

Should I strip the plant completely bare of leaves? Will it die if I do that?
Every leaf on it has at least 1 white spot, even new leaves are growing with a white spot.

I feel like I'm losing a loved one :P I put so much work into that bugger and it was the healthiest in the garden before. Boohoohoo.

nes
Green Thumb

Calm down :D

I had a similar problem with some peas and I seem to be having the same issue with some squash. It starts as white spots but progresses so that you can see straight through the leaves. I think it might be insect damage, but I'm not sure who is doing it yet.

Someone else had the same problem recently, I think with beans?

brekehan

nes wrote:Calm down :D

I had a similar problem with some peas and I seem to be having the same issue with some squash. It starts as white spots but progresses so that you can see straight through the leaves. I think it might be insect damage, but I'm not sure who is doing it yet.

Someone else had the same problem recently, I think with beans?
I do have tiny black ants all over the plant. They are farming aphids which I spray with the hose every day. I can't seem to get rid of those either. I'm going to the grocery tonight to buy some garlic and hot peppers to try potion #4 to save my garden.

I am pretty sure the white is some kind of fungus. It spreads just too fast to be insect damage. There aren't enough insects to do that, that quick. I believe the ants are the source of the disease, brining it up from the soil. The ants always preclude the white spots.

Diane
Green Thumb

I wouldn't cut off the leaves. That might kill your plants.

nes
Green Thumb

I hope you are successful, but I can say that the same white spots are all over one of my squash and they haven't dampened that plants enthusiasm at all! Don't kill your garden with cures :).

I know it look like a fungus, but you also have to think it's hoping from one plant species to another VERY quickly. That's why I say it's more likely to be insects, maybe even something that is coming out at night so you don't see it.

Diane
Green Thumb

On my cuke and squash leaves are white dots, that become more white dots with holes. The dots are even on some of my cukes. They are caused by cuke beetles on my plants. Yellow with black stripes. They are very fast.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”