crobi13

Potatoes in containers

I would like to try to grow some potatoes in containers this winter. Can anyone who already does this give me any hints as to what size/depth containers they use. Any other tips are appreciated, as well.

nes
Green Thumb

[url]https://lifehacker.com/5202849/grow-100-lbs-of-potatoes-in-4-square-feet[/url]

I'm planning on trying this next year! :)

crobi13

Well, that's cool! I could probably build that in my basement. Place a shop light with grow bulbs over it & I could have fresh, home grown potatoes all winter.

Thanks, Nes! :D

RosieRenee

Because I was running out of space in my garden, my husband brought home two old bathtubs he found abandoned in a field. We filled them with good dirt and planted potatoes. I've rooted around a bit and found some smaller ones toward the top but will let you all know what the harvest is when we really dig in.

We didn't know enough to leave space to add dirt on as the season goes, but we will next year.

The most important thing he did was put the tubs up on wood and tilt them slightly toward the drain hole so they would drain.

I also planted nasturtiums and some vine we had to drape over the side. No matter what, they look kind of neat!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

RosieRenee, how wonderful to see than another gardener makes use of bathtubs! I use mine to mix my soil. Over the winter, I fill it with leaves and some soil as a compost bin :) I've never considered potatoes, though. I bet the porcelain would extend the growing season, especially if it was covered.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

crobi, remember the potato box nes was talking about was used for growing potatoes outdoors. When you say you want to grow potatoes in containers this winter, I presume you mean indoors. Apparently it can be done,

https://www.gardening-tips-idea.com/Growing-potatoes-indoor.html

but light is going to be the issue. Potato plants like full sun and that is difficult to duplicate indoors. You are going to need lots of light, directly over and close to the plants, which you can leave on like 16 hrs a day.

RosieRenee

Stella1751, I'm loving the soil mixing idea! I thought this Fall, after I had dug out my potatoes, I'd start throwing in leaves and compost for next year, so I think we're on the same path!

crobi13

rainbowgardener wrote:crobi, remember the potato box nes was talking about was used for growing potatoes outdoors. When you say you want to grow potatoes in containers this winter, I presume you mean indoors. Apparently it can be done,

https://www.gardening-tips-idea.com/Growing-potatoes-indoor.html

but light is going to be the issue. Potato plants like full sun and that is difficult to duplicate indoors. You are going to need lots of light, directly over and close to the plants, which you can leave on like 16 hrs a day.
Yes, I was thinking of building a planter in the basement. I have several 4' shop lights that I could place over them on a timer. Thanks for the link, that gave me some good info.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Finally had a minute (well, more like 30 seconds...) to Search for the discussion earlier this year on growing potatoes in "boxes."

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13353

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”