Tammy42

Possible frost ?

It has been getting colder and colder at night, no frost but alot of dew- even though te plants have so much dew on them, that it looks like frost this is between 7 and 9 A.M.. The weather channel is reporting it at 47 degrees last night and predicting the same tonight, granted it isn't freezing for her which is 32 degrees. My question is the containers I can move and aren't cold related stuff, should I go ahead and move them under the carport or into my rv, where they are a little more sheltered from the cold and the dew? Also I think my tomatoes might be a little to big to put under the carport, how can I protect them with a plastic tarp or a blanket- they have a lot of green tomatoes on them so I want them to keep going as long as I can? Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks, Tammy

Jewell
Cool Member

We had some heavy rains so I already covered my tomatoes with a plastic tent. :o I want them to get as big as possible before it turns cool, and not split because of too much water.

Tomatoes are always a challenge where I live. I have to pull the plants and hang them in the garage, or harvest green for the tomatoes to ripen to avoid frost damage. When I harvest green I place a newspaper over them to help prevent the skins from getting tough (just like grocery store tomatoes).

By holding off as long as possible from harvesting the green tomatoes (covering with plastic, etc.), and then letting them ripen inside/cool protected area I have been able to stretch my fresh tomatoes until Thanksgiving and a little longer. :D

Tammy42

Thanks Jewell, that's what I will do tonight , I'll put a plastic tarp around them!!! Tammy

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”