tedln
Super Green Thumb

Getting ready to plant my garlic for next year!

I am in the process of finishing construction of my new onion bed. My old onion bed will become my garlic bed which will be planted this fall for next years crop.

The farm and ranch supply where I purchase my garden supplies provides a nice little planting guide for all garden plants. It lists suggested planting dates for spring and fall crops as well as other pertinent data. For garlic, it suggests Feb. 3-Feb. 17 as the spring planting dates. For the fall planting, it says "not recommended". Any idea why they wouldn't recommend a fall planting for garlic in zone 7b?

Ted

kgall

I am in zone 5-6 and I am wondering when I should put in garlic too.

jmoore

tedln wrote:The farm and ranch supply where I purchase my garden supplies provides a nice little planting guide for all garden plants. It lists suggested planting dates for spring and fall crops as well as other pertinent data.
I'd love to get a copy of this. What is the name of the farm and ranch supply store?

nes
Green Thumb

I'm not sure Ted but zone 5 is early October :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That is insane garlic is a cool weather crop and should be overwintered as far as I have seen EVERYWHERE.

I found this thread on another forum you might check out, they siad someone planted in Oct, Nov, Dec. they ALL started to produce at the SAME in the spring. The only thing they said might be a problem is leaf damage to various maturation levels of leaves.

https://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg07125011629.html

Most sites I have seen say no sooner than the mid of Oct. My Ortho garden book say's Oct-Nov in north and Nov-Dec in south.

Here another thread form a garlic website on garlic in the deep south very informative. Talks about when and how and what to plant. Hope this helps.

https://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/growsouth.htm
Last edited by gixxerific on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgall

Thanks nes! I can't wait to get it planted. I guess I will have to! I hate to have blank spots in the garden! I just want to grow, grow, grow!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore wrote:
tedln wrote:The farm and ranch supply where I purchase my garden supplies provides a nice little planting guide for all garden plants. It lists suggested planting dates for spring and fall crops as well as other pertinent data.
I'd love to get a copy of this. What is the name of the farm and ranch supply store?
jmoore,

Here is the web page for the farm and home supply. They have four or five stores in the metroplex area. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the planting guide link. It is in .pdf format.

Ted

https://www.dandlfarmandhome.com/pages/lawnandgarden.html

nes
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote: Most sites I have seen say no sooner than the mid of Oct. My Ortho garden book say's Oct-Nov in north and Nov-Dec in south.
Been to Ottawa in October? :D You're right though, mid to late October would probably be better.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore,

I went in yesterday to see what they have for my fall garden. The nursery manager/master gardener is off Mondays, so I didn't get to visit with her. They do carry a large selection of bulk seed in bins. They charge by the scoop and the scoops are pretty generous. They also carry a large selection of normal tomato plants in the fall and spring as well as a large vareity of heirloom tomato plants in the spring. I'm going to try to talk the nursery manager into planting some Juliet seedlings for the spring gardens. I want to grow some heirlooms and my Better Boy's next spring. I also want my Juliets without growing from seed.

Ted

Tinybu88les8

Do not plant garlic where onions have been previously planted. The soil may be contaminated with common diseases or pests.

jmoore

tedln wrote:
jmoore wrote:
jmoore,

Here is the web page for the farm and home supply. They have four or five stores in the metroplex area. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the planting guide link. It is in .pdf format.

Ted

https://www.dandlfarmandhome.com/pages/lawnandgarden.html
That's perfect! Thanks. Unfortunately none of those spots are close to me. Sounds like an excellent resource for you. Most the garden shops near my house are all flower and plant focused. No one knows anything about vegetables aside from the seed packet rack. :roll: I should really spend more time at the Community Garden https://www.lhgarden.org/ They have always been very helpful when I've been over there.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

jmoore,

I was getting frustrated having to deal with the big box stores for my supplies. They used to be pretty reliable every spring to have my needs. Now they seem to have determined the most profitable way to market to gardeners is sell everything in individual peat pots at ridiculous prices. All of the supplies like fertilizers and soils are in smaller packages at much higher prices. They no longer make any effort to employ people in the gardening areas who have any knowledge of gardening.

I kept trying to determine who or what kind of business would stock products I need for my garden and employ people with gardening knowledge. I know most of the garden centers now only care about landscaping and decorative gardening.

I remembered from years ago that feed stores used to also carry supplies for gardeners in the spring. I did a google search and found D&L in my area. You can probably do the same. I think most small town stores that specialize in animals feeds, farrier supplies, some vet. supplies for animals will also cater to the gardener. I always look for the "High Yield" brand of products. If they carry that brand, they will probably have everything you need. D&L tries to carry everything needed by the organic gardener, but they also carry non organic products. Another way to find a store in your area would be to google the "Hi Yield" brand and see if they have a list of local vendors of their products.

I googled the "hi yield" brand and found the following web page.
https://www.hi-yield.com/BrandHome.aspx

Use their dealer locator and you can probably find something like D&L in your area.

Good Luck

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”