jmoore

Free containers

A while back there was a thread about picking up containers off the curb in the neighborhood. Well last night we were out for a walk and since this is curbside pickup week, there was lots of stuff out. One house we came to have two perfectly good plastic, heavy duty containers, so I grabbed them. They are about 6" tall and 18" long with drain holes and a watering little tray. Pretty much perfect condition. I figure I can put some lettuce in them when the hot weather breaks.

My wife thinks I've lost my mind over this gardening stuff. :P

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Gardening will change all your views about morality and accepted social conduct. If anyone had ever told the 20-something me that one day I would steal, in the dead of night, bags of leaves, I would have told them they were crazy :lol:

crobi13

stella1751 wrote:Gardening will change all your views about morality and accepted social conduct. If anyone had ever told the 20-something me that one day I would steal, in the dead of night, bags of leaves, I would have told them they were crazy :lol:
LOL!! That's great! :lol:

jmoore

stella1751 wrote:If anyone had ever told the 20-something me that one day I would steal, in the dead of night, bags of leaves, I would have told them they were crazy :lol:
That made me :lol:

When I was mowing yesterday I was second guessing myself for running the mower in mulch mode. I was worried that I was not bagging the clippings to top dress the garden. :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jmoore wrote:
stella1751 wrote:If anyone had ever told the 20-something me that one day I would steal, in the dead of night, bags of leaves, I would have told them they were crazy :lol:
That made me :lol:

When I was mowing yesterday I was second guessing myself for running the mower in mulch mode. I was worried that I was not bagging the clippings to top dress the garden. :?
Stella I take my freinds leaves I don't have any big trees in my yard, it's a newer subidision. Though I would steal them given the chance\need. I have gotten them form a development by me lots of trees\forest.

Jmore: Bag it up bro throw it on heavy, I am a big advocate of doing this. I have even bagged my neighbors yars for their grass. In fact I need my grass to grow some more just expanded my garden. I cut my back yard and only had enough grass for a thin layer on half of the new part. But never fear we had tons of rain last night My grass will need a hardcore mowing in a few days, it get's jungle like out there trust me. And kudos to you for recycling others trash. :)

jmoore

gixxerific wrote:Jmore: Bag it up bro throw it on heavy, I am a big advocate of doing this. I have even bagged my neighbors yars for their grass. In fact I need my grass to grow some more just expanded my garden. I cut my back yard and only had enough grass for a thin layer on half of the new part. But never fear we had tons of rain last night My grass will need a hardcore mowing in a few days, it get's jungle like out there trust me. And kudos to you for recycling others trash. :)
My yard is not that big, but the St Augustine grows fast, esp. when it gets some rain. I could mow it twice a week if I wanted to. It only takes about 30 minutes to mow. And this being TX, I'll have to mow at least weekly into October. So there is ample opportunity to gather plenty of clippings for the garden.

On another note, I'm almost ashamed to admit I bought some cedar mulch for the garden. Same stuff we use in the beds around the house. Now I'm wishing I would have never put it on there. Instead of risking plant damage by removing it, I'll wait until I pull the plants, then move it to the beds. I'll know better next year.

kimbledawn

Like minds belong together! I am home! :D I drive by subdivision's and wonder how many bags of grass I can fit in my car! My daughter saw me looking one day and said " Mom, you don't know what they spray on their grass and you can't knock on their door and ask them! :P She's thirteen and I embarrass her easily. Next time I'm out looking...I'll leave her home! 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well any little bit helps with grass. I feel you on the grass mine grows very fast. If the temps are right and we get a lot of rain, I could mow 3 times a week and each time have it 8 or more inches tall, enough to bog the mower down a bit.

Not sure but wouldn't cedar mulch make the soil even more acidic. Also I believe that hardwood mulch steals nitrogen from soill as it decays. Don't feel too bad My first attempt many moons ago I used hardwood mulch it was not used again mainly because it was a pain to till through. Oh well live and learn. 8)

:edit: Alright Kimble another one maybe we should all get together robbing people of their grass. :lol:

jmoore

gixxerific wrote: Not sure but wouldn't cedar mulch make the soil even more acidic. Also I believe that hardwood mulch steals nitrogen from soill as it decays. Don't feel too bad My first attempt many moons ago I used hardwood mulch it was not used again mainly because it was a pain to till through. Oh well live and learn. 8)

:edit: Alright Kimble another one maybe we should all get together robbing people of their grass. :lol:
I have no idea what it's doing to my soil, but I'm half blaming it for my poor production. Well that and all the other myriad of mistakes I've made with my first garden. :x Either way, this is the first and last time it will be used. I'll move it to the beds under the bushes this winter and it can live it's life out there in peace. Once it's gone, the beds get the old sawdust-manure mix from the stables/grass clippings mixture. One day I'll have nice soil in there.

How did we get on the grass clippings subject again? Wasn't this thread about recycled containers? Talk about thread drift. :D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Here's what I say: We assemble a gang of grass and leaf thieves. We meet only at night, when the moon is on the wane. We disguise ourselves as bushes, skulking from home to home. We'll need to synchronize our calendars to meet on "special" days. (In Casper, that would be the first and third Tuesdays of each month, what are known locally as "extra" days, but what we will refer to in our own special code as "compostible" days.)

We split the divvy at my place. If anyone has to leave early, perhaps because my dogs are attacking them, that is fine. I'm okay with keeping their share of the goods :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Stella sounds good but don't make me bring my dog you may be the one left with nothing. :P

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Img25-1.jpg[/img]
Her with a chew toy
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Mayalog080802.jpg[/img]

Now talk about off topic, but back on topic sorry Jmore. :oops: I have been wanting to get something like what you are talking about. It's gonna be big trash pickup day here in a couple of weeks maybe I'll take a drive around.

That just reminded me we use to actually have two tubs for recycling. They went to a big 50 gallon can but didn't take back the tubs for some reason. I wanted to use them for gardening but my wife without asking gave them away to somone. :x :x

jmoore

LOL Stella.

I think if someone found you stealing grass clippings late at night dressed as a bush, then they might think you've been dipping into a different kind of grass too much :lol:

Diane
Green Thumb

Jmore, it is addicting. If it is crazy, it's a good kind of crazy.
I look at containers everywhere I go. I bought a certain kind of cat litter because it came in a bucket. :)

Tammy42

Saving all my laundry detergent buckets I get from Costco, I used all that I had with the exception of the ones my husband got his hands on and threw away, well not next year, we are saving them all from now on, can't have enough for gardening!!! Tammy

Diane
Green Thumb

He threw them away? Well, maybe another gardener found them. :)

Tammy42

I wished Diane, I think he took them to the recycling center though, so if I'm lucky, maybe a gardener did find them!!!! Next year he won't find them to throw them away, I am stashing and hiding them where he can't find them!!!! Tammy

jmoore

I've been thinking about my containers and I think they'd be perfect for some baby carrots. The carrots in my garden were non-starters. The ground is entirely too hard out there.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

jmoore, I have four containers just like what you described. The first year I moved to my present place, with no time to put in a garden, I used them to grow some terrific radishes! Carrots might be too long :(

Another container idea, for those of you who do container gardening: I think radishes are tasty. I also think, given their short growing season, that they are a waste of acreage. When my dog Dempsey tore a hole in the bottom of his child's wading pool, I filled it with a mixture of 3/4's soil and 1/4 potting soil. I planted radishes in it in a lovely swirling spiral. They were wonderful :lol:

nes
Green Thumb

I just found out about creating seed pots from newspaper :) I'm super excited to try it next year!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”