Tinybu88les8

question about fall gardening

So I bought a bunch of neat seeds online last week... Blue cabbage, red Brussels sprouts, romanesco broccoli, pretty purple hot peppers,passion flowers,soy beans, japanese black trifele tomato, granex onion,purple spinach and tiger melon. I live in southern california. Does anyone know anything about these. THe seeds don't say what months to be planted. If anyone has any answers that would be great. I'm assuming red brussels sprouts be planted when normal brussels do? Also, if anyone know ANYTHING anything at all about these plants please don't hesitate to tell me. :) I don't know if its too late to plant some of these or if its okay since I live in southern cali? thanks!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My climate is way different than yours so I can't be of much help but...here is something that might help you https://www.digitalseed.com/gardener/schedule/vegetable.html I hope that does it for you.

Another thought would be to email\call the seed supplier and ask them for suggestions. They should be able to help as well if not find another supplier in my opinion. :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sunset's Western Garden Book will tell you planting dates, variety recommendations, etc. It draws very clear and helpful climate zone lines. The 25-cent + box top recommendation is:

Sunset: 29 climate zones in Western states & provinces vs.
USDA: 11 climate zones in North America...

Which one will be more helpful to a gardener? :wink:

The 7th ed. was published 2001; 8th in 2008. The 6th isn't so helpful for gardeners in Alaska or Hawaii, but all are good for gardeners in California. I've waxed eloquent (more or less...) in other posts re. Sunset's "Gardening Bible," so full info is available elsewhere here at THG.

Good luck with fall planting! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

How dare I forget about about the Sunset's.... guide\book! :shock: Forget what I posted look into that, well don't forget it for real cuase you could always use a second opinion.

I still want a book like that for the midwest. :x

Yeah I'm jealous.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's another planting guide, what to plant when for zone 9 & 10.

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule

You need to pay attention to the difference between cool weather and warm weather crops. It's not too late for you in southern california to plant cool weather crops, it's too early. It's still too hot for them and will be for some time.

Of the things on your list, cabbage, brussel sprouts (of whatever variety), broccoli, spinach are cool weather crops. Peppers, beans, tomatoes, melons are warm weather crops.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:How dare I forget about about the Sunset's.... guide\book!

Yeah I'm jealous.
Sunset *did* publish a book for all of North America in 1997. It's called (what else?) the National Garden Book. I've described Sunset climate zones in the eastern U.S. on THG. Unfortunately, Sunset never published a revised edition, so you'll need to go onto the used-book market for copies. But it's terrific. :)

Missouri's two climate zones are 35 and 41. 35 in the southern regions, 41 in the northern.

Good luck!

Cynthia

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:
gixxerific wrote:How dare I forget about about the Sunset's.... guide\book!

Yeah I'm jealous.
Sunset *did* publish a book for all of North America in 1997. It's called (what else?) the National Garden Book. I've described Sunset climate zones in the eastern U.S. on THG. Unfortunately, Sunset never published a revised edition, so you'll need to go onto the used-book market for copies. But it's terrific. :)

Missouri's two climate zones are 35 and 41. 35 in the southern regions, 41 in the northern.

Good luck!

Cynthia
Thanks I found it at amazon for $3.23, of course shipping is more than the book cost. I will look around locally or at the library.

Again Thanks

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”