noodles777

wierd wormy lines on cuke leaves *pics*

these are pics from my lemon cucumbers but my hybrid bush cucumbers are getting these wierd patters too. It looks kinda like slugs but there is never any slime anywhere. The plant seems to be doing well but once the leaves get all full of these wierd patteerns they turn yellow. I thought it was some sort of bug so I tried spraying with soapy water (this has worked great for me with almost all my other problems) but it hasn't helped at all. Any ideas?
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/NxOxOxDxLxExS/IMG_0932.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/NxOxOxDxLxExS/IMG_0933.jpg[/img]

NaeMo

I don't have the squiggly lines, but I do have yellow splotches on some leaves. I was thinking cucumber beetles. I found a couple doing the nasty on a leaf and squished 'em. But it may be caused by something different altogether.

cas0502

It looks like leaf miner damage. I've had it before but I don't remember how to get rid of them but they are inside the leaves so normal spray on controls don't usually work.

applestar
Mod

Leaf miners or kids and I like to call'em Doodle Bugs. :lol:
I've never had them on cuke leaves but with other plants (usually strawberries and aquilegia), I usually cut off/around the "doodle" with scissors and dispose them in the trash (not compost). If I'm feeling too lazy to salvage the leaf, I just clip off the entire leaf.

noodles777

ok thanks! I looked up some pics of leaf miners and the damage they cause but any ideas on how to get rid of them? Most of the stuff I read just talk about how to prevent them and rotate crops and that they are pretty resistant to insecticides :?

applestar
Mod

In case I wasn't clear, the miners are still in the leaves. So if you cut out the doodle, you'll cut out the miners. What you don't want is to allow them to mature and emerge, drop in the soil, and grow into adults to perpetuate in your garden.

Some locations on the leaf make it impossible to save the leaf, but my reasoning is that every bit of leaf surface that remains on the vine will continue to collect sunlight.

pharmerphil

Thats about the best way to get rid of them I can think of Applestar, the only insecticide that will get rid of them is a systemic, and systemic, and vegetables just don't mix! :?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”