Tryst A.
Newly Registered

Re: who use peat pots for starters? I have mold on mine!!!

Peat pot plants do ok planted out IF you soak the pots with a little h2o just b4 planting, then cut aprox. 4 slits all around pot just before putting in ground, it gives the roots openings to push through which eventually desimates the peat pot, and whala! no root bound isseus :wink:

imafan26
Mod

I have to say, I haven't had much luck with the jiffy peat pellets. It always seemed to be too wet. I did use the jiffy pots, they did ok as long as they were not over watered but they deformed and crumbled easily and dried out fast. I now use plastic pots and recycled pots. They are a lot less costly and less trouble in the long run.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I use those little clear tapered plastic cups about 3 inches tall. Punch a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage. For soil, regular potting mix. When planting, just dump the root ball out into your hand and place it in the hole. The cup can be saved and reused.

feldon30

The problem with peat pots is, they compete with your seedlings for moisture, they stay damp, they mold, and when planted, they don't break down and let roots through as-advertised.

I know peat pots are supposed to be eco-friendly and all that, but I use plastic seed starting trays and plastic 4" pots and reuse them year-to-year by spraying with a 10% bleach solution. I haven't thrown away a single plastic tray or pot in 5 years.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I gave up on peat pots and now use plastic drinking cups, the ones that are about 3 inches tall and about that wide too. Punch a couple holes in the bottom, fill with planting medium and plant. When time to put the starts in the garden, just dump the contents out of the cup. The cups can be saved and re-used.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I hate peat pots and do not use them. I get 4" nursery pots FREE from big box garden centers and local nurseries. If you want smaller starter pots you can get 6 packs free. Don't forget trays. Also free. Just wash before using.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”