BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Okay, guys, I'm seriously jealous. I blamed my rock-hard clay soil for my carrot failures, until I did the Square Foot Garden deal, and they failed there as well. How do you grow these things?
I too have Rock hard clay soil, that is why I did some carrots in a raised bed with organic material and compost as well as peat moss, very nice and loose, and the carrots are growing huge. I have the rainbow carrot variety growing, purple, red, white, yellow, and orange.

applestar
Mod

Oooh! Sounds purr-ty! :P
I saw those in a seed catalog, but I already had a bunch of carrots seeds so I couldn't get them. I might get them for next spring though, since I've used up most of the carrot seeds. :wink:

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Yeah there pretty darn cool looking applestar....I get sick of planting the same ordinary veg, got to be adventurous. I pulled them out earlier then I should of because I was so curious how they looked. The purple ones are purple on the outside and orange in the inside, kinda of a cool looking combination, the white ones kind of look like a turnip, the red ones are very red, very bright....first time trying them, I can't wait until all of them are ready to pull. I do have some in m rock hard clay soil to and those are struggling, but the ones in the raised bed are doing very well. I would show you guys some pics, but I haven't taken any of them yet.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Let us know how they taste as well, I've wondered about that. Heirloom tomatoes have always tasted better, hopefully your carrots will too.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful carrots guys! After growing a bed full of orange tooth picks, I am seriously jealous.

Ted

David Taylor
Cool Member

Thanks for your insight Applestar. And Pharmerphil, I just may need to go to confession for how green my jealousy is. Cold temps may be a contributing factor to my complete and utter failure. You all are planting seeds very early in the spring, in snow? A testament to your dedication. It not only never rains in Southern California, but it doesn't get especially cold. Its 5:23am and 65 degrees on the patio. The last time it snowed here was in 1969, I'm still traumatized. Just twenty-five miles away (and three thousand feet up) Julian grows world-famous apples, but here, too often, the peach trees don't get enough cold to set fruit.

So, you see, its NOT MY FAULT!. Mother Nature is to blame.

Maybe I can install an air conditioner in the SFG! I'll start working on the plans, as well as apply your suggestions.

pharmerphil

[img]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/chobb/Sm/yo.gif[/img] You are welcome Applestar and Diane [img]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/chobb/Sm/yo.gif[/img]
Thank You everyone for your kind words...
David, we plant carrots in late April to early May...any sooner here and we'd need a ice pick to make holes :lol:

kgall

Wow! Nice carrots. I pulled a couple of carrots today and here they are. Puny compared to yours! I planted them mid May. The packet said 75 days to harvest and I am on day 95 and getting anxious!
The little one is about 2 inches long, the big one about 6.

[img]https://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/kgall_photo/P1020484.jpg[/img]

kr222
Newly Registered

Holy cow. That is the largest carrot I have ever seen!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”