gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Does anyone use sticky traps for bugs?

I saw these https://www.ghorganics.com/StickyTrap.html just surfing around, thought they are not new to me I never thought about putting a sticky trap in my garden My garage or basement to control flies yes. I would think that other than aphids and flies etc it would take down beneficial bugs like, well.... bees for instance. I love my bees we do a good job together and would hate to loose them as well.

Well any of you use them and how did that go?
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02670-1.jpg[/img]

Diane
Green Thumb

Today I hung a sticky coiled fly tape over my potato plants because of flea bettles. They are too small and fast to kill so I thought I would shake the plant and they'd fly onto the tape.
I had sprayed the plants yesterday with water and today I didn't
see any. :?
I didn't think of bees.....but there are no flowers on these plants.

Bees don't usually land and it said those traps work best laid flat on soil so....

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't bother with the sticky cards. They cost too much and you can make better ones yourself. We were growing some malnourished research plants in a greenhouse and they became super infested with whiteflies. I bought card traps and watched 50% of the whiteflies actually bounce off of them, then I made something much more effective sticky traps using 'Tree Tanglefoot", which is sticky stuff to catch bugs on the trunks of fruit trees. It comes in a tub and can somtimes be found at Home Depot Garden center etc, but also on line. I spread it on yellow plastic drink cups and then put the cups over sticks stuck into flower pots/ the ground, but you could use yellow plastic plates etc. No bugs ever bounced off that stuff and it was active in the greenhouse for over 3 years. It did not attract bees, the odd wasp and butterfly bumped into them, but mostly whiteflies and fungus gnats.

For flea beetles your best bet is to plant radishes right next to the potatoes. The beetles prefer the radishes and leave other vegetables alone.

Diane
Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:
For flea beetles your best bet is to plant radishes right next to the potatoes. The beetles prefer the radishes and leave other vegetables alone.
Thanks TZ I'll try that next year.

Diane
Green Thumb

The coiled fly sticky paper worked. It caught lots of flies, flea beetles,
a cucumber beetle about ten feet from that plant, a few aphids and a strange looking bug I saw on my pepper plant.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'm pretty sure that the Tanglefoot is the same goo used on the flypaper. Its a very old product.

Diane
Green Thumb

It works well. You pull the tape from a small round thing. It is old.
For some reason I get flies in my garden every year so I always buy a package of the fly catchers.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I might try this next year or maybe later this year. I asked my wife to pick some sticky fly traps for the house the other day, but she couldn't find them at Wal-Mart. They are getting bad, as I have said before there is a cow pasture in sight of my place I pass them everyday, my daughter loves them, she's 3. :lol: I remember right before Halloween last year while decorating pumpkins the flies were incredible in 1 day I killed way over 150 in my garage while working with the pumpkins. :shock: I had to use my blower to clear the "killing field" so I knew what to attack.

By the way if hunting with fly swatter they are easiest killed while on the ground, trust me. :twisted:

Diane
Green Thumb

Kissel posted a site about peppers. It said that flea beetles do little damage so I won't worry about them. Also it said that flies go after them.
So maybe the flies are here for a reason. :?
I found the fly traps at the dollar store. You're dealing with too many.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”