Diane
Green Thumb

Dono, you just gave me an idea. Instead of grouping my plants by type I'm going to plant by size with tomato in the back in a row and the smaller or climing plants in front.
My neighbors huge tree is shading my yard more and more every year.

SP8
Green Thumb

Diane wrote:Dono, you just gave me an idea. Instead of grouping my plants by type I'm going to plant by size with tomato in the back in a row and the smaller or climing plants in front.
That tactic is pretty much the keystone to my entire venture. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Diane wrote:Dono, you just gave me an idea. Instead of grouping my plants by type I'm going to plant by size with tomato in the back in a row and the smaller or climing plants in front.
My neighbors huge tree is shading my yard more and more every year.
This my garden

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02690.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC02680.jpg[/img]

I have my tom's all together and, well it's a pain in the butt trying to get to them. Next year I will do some tom's and the far right, I'm gonna move my wood pile, than smaller plants than a row of tom's, than smaller plants, than a climbing plant, than smaller plants. This way I should be able to accses the plants better and use them for shading the ground dwellers as well. I think it will work out pretty good. I kinda of started it this way this year as you can see by the 2nd pic, that was more or less an accident though. :) I also will put peas and beans possibly along the fence line so they can use that to climb.

By next year I think I will have a pretty good plan of what I want to do, being proactive I will hopefully have a more productive and easier harvested garden.

Dono

Glad I got you thinking. I help you, you help me, we all win

p.s. while I'm at it that trash can is my compost for now. It's doing pretty good, and this garden will get bigger not sure how much yet. Another little thing I'm gonna do is put mulch down on the other side of the fence just wide enough to help control the grass that is impossible to keep out of the garden. Something those of you fences might want to think about as well.

Diane
Green Thumb

You have lots of sun in your garden. Nice.
I would use a barrel or container if anyone could see where I composted. Since mine is at the back of my fenced yard under trees it's well hidden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”