lottena
Newly Registered

Peppers

I have bell and habenero peppers. I've picked the bell about 3 weeks ago and there are no flowers or anything left- should I do anything to the remaining plant that's really growing large?

The habeneros aren't ready yet, but same question applies- after they stop producing anything, what should I do?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"I picked the bell" THE meaning one? A healthy pepper plant should produce lots of them, six to eight or more. If there are no flowers, then obviously you don't have more coming real soon. You didn't say where you are or what conditions you've been having (drought, flood, lots of sun, no sun). I have ten weeks left before frost. If it were me, I'd keep taking care of it and hope for more peppers yet. But if you have frost coming soon and you have no developing peppers, then you might as well compost it.

I'm not sure if this is even what your question was? If not, try again with more info...

splat42069

try to get some pics and we might be able to tell you if it will produce more or not. There was a time in my peppers life where I had no hope then all of a sudden it started throwing peppers out everywhere. They are weird plants man, nothing like a tomato plant, they are slow growers. ! week they wont do anyting then the next they are flowering like crazy and then you notice the leaves spitting out everywhere. Unless its almost dead I would not get rid of it, just give it some time :)

lottena
Newly Registered

thanks rainbow gardener and splat

I'm in N.E. in D.C. We've had a lot of rain in late spring through June then a couple of weeks of intense heat, pretty much right as the bell pepper was growing. The plant was wilted for about a week and a half but is totally revived now. So it might flower again.

The habeneros look good though and have peppers and some more flowers on them

Diane
Green Thumb

splat42069 wrote:try to get some pics and we might be able to tell you if it will produce more or not. There was a time in my peppers life where I had no hope then all of a sudden it started throwing peppers out everywhere. They are weird plants man, nothing like a tomato plant, they are slow growers. ! week they wont do anyting then the next they are flowering like crazy and then you notice the leaves spitting out everywhere. Unless its almost dead I would not get rid of it, just give it some time :)
You have described my peppers exactly splat. :)
Don't give up lottena. Peppers can surprise you.

somegeek

splat42069 wrote:try to get some pics and we might be able to tell you if it will produce more or not. There was a time in my peppers life where I had no hope then all of a sudden it started throwing peppers out everywhere. They are weird plants man, nothing like a tomato plant, they are slow growers. ! week they wont do anyting then the next they are flowering like crazy and then you notice the leaves spitting out everywhere. Unless its almost dead I would not get rid of it, just give it some time :)
+1 Same boat here - my pepper plant performance has been less than linear vs my tomatoes.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Last year, for his October 1 birthday, I gave my cousin two containers of Habaneros. He kept them in his glassed-in porch until January, when they finally died, and he tells me he still has Habaneros in his freezer. I've heard you can over-winter them in containers. I tried once, but I got bored caring for them, and they died about the same time. Given ideal conditions, I suppose you could get some serious mileage out of a Habanero, years.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”