garden5
Super Green Thumb

Can I plant onion seeds this fall in Ohio

I know that there is already a thread on onions going, but I figured I would start my own as this is a slightly different issue.

Is it too cold in Ohio to plant onion seeds in the fall to harvest them next summer? This may be a dumb question, but I have yet to find a definitive answer. Oh, and by the way, how long after the tops of onions fall over and turn brown do I pull them.

Thanks alot for any help.

Bigdtc
Newly Registered

Not sure about starting onion seeds right now (or this fall), I want to plant some too as I hate to think the garden is COMPLETELY idle till spring.
As far as pulling you onions, I leave mine in the ground until the tops are completely brown. Once they turn brown I leave them in the ground for about 7-10 days, then pull them and leave them on top of the soil for a day or two, then store. Hopefully someone with some winter onion experience wil be along...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't done it yet (think I will try it this year), but yes you should be able to plant onion seed, here in OHio I would think soon, mid-Aug to beginning of Sept. Once it gets cold, mulch the little plants heavily and they should over winter. Pull the mulch back in early spring and let them go!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks.

My onion tops have been shriveled up now for about 1 week, so I will probably pull them today.

Odnion tip I read: When your onions start to poke out of the groud=nd, do not cover them back up or push them down. This will negatively affect the formation of the bulb.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:
Onion tip I read: When your onions start to poke out of the ground, do not cover them back up or push them down. This will negatively affect the formation of the bulb.
If you pile dirt on them they won't be able to dry up a bit. Otherwise they become to wet and may rot in the ground.
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2cents
Green Thumb

Garden 5

I'm SW Ohio
Some green onions I planted last year didn't do well in a new spot. But they came up better this year before I turned the soil, so I just left them grow. I harvested green onions off of them all summer, just a few spikes off each one at a time.
I tried pulling one up about 2 months ago and it is in there seep, top broke off. I am hoping they come back next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”