bridgemontbelle
Newly Registered

Can I grow veg in the shade?

Hi, I'm new to veg gardening. So far I've stuck to one or two pots on the patio. I have one bed about 12 x 4' and that gets some sun for some of the time, but is mainly shaded. Can I grow anything here? Fingers crossed.
All help gratefully received.
Thanks.

javascript:emoticon(':?:')javascript:emoticon(':D')

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is limiting. The good news is the things that you can grow in kind of (NOT entirely) shady conditions are the cool weather crops that you would be planting about now for a fall garden. This includes green leafies -- lettuce spinach chard mustard greens, etc. -- broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, peas, and some root crops like beets and carrots.

bridgemontbelle
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot. Wish me luck.

nes
Green Thumb

Actually it's better for your cauliflower I think? especially if you live in a very hot area to provide them with a little shade, it will prevent them from burning (although if you live in the UK that is probably not too much of an issue :D).

You could also consider something like beans, peas, cucumbers, or pumpkins if they can grown into the sunlight. You'll be able to trellis them to where there is more light if the shade is just over the bed.

If all else fails & you're really determined you could try a plant light :).

bridgemontbelle
Newly Registered

Nes, How right you are - over-heating is not much of a problem here in the UK. The rain over tha last couple of weeks has been absolutely astounding. We've got full sun this afternoon so I charted the bed - it doesn't actually get much direct sun at all, but as you say I can grow tall things into the light. I'm going to give a go and see what happens:I'm just sitting the shade at the moment (next to the proposed bed) and leafing through my books to see where to start. Fingers crossed. :)

Jewell
Cool Member

Look over this source of plants and seeds for autumn planting from the UK. [url]https://www.mammothonion.co.uk/shop/11/index.htm[/url]

I use them for some sources that I can't get here in the states. :D Just got my red blooming broad beans and some Welsh Red Onions. You could be planting sources of cole crops and vegies bred for your area. I am sure there are other great sources close by. Your growing climates are similar to my region so has been a great resource for me.

SP8
Green Thumb

Set up some reflectors to make the most of any sunlight that your balcony gets.

A couple of well placed reflectors can add at least an extra 2-3 hours of sunlight to shaded areas if placed correctly.

Just make sure they're not bouncing rays into a neighbours skull, they don't seem to like it!

splat42069

Take a look at my profile in the garden log. The pictures of the actual garde area get about 4-5 hours of sunlight and you can see how they are growing. I did use MG all purpose 20-20-20 for the first 2 months but this last month I layed off of it. You def. can you just wont produce as much veggies as you could with full sun allday. For me so far I can keep up with the maturing veggies but I can see now eventually my maters are gonna kick me in the edited. lol.

The thing I have noticed from friends plants and mine, they get atleast 8 hours + of sun and they have more fruits/veggies and they ripen alot faster.

I saw you said you are goin for it anyway, good luck man I hope you have as much luck as I had!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If they get some sun they will produce. Total shade and maybe not so much. :(

I am the opposite of you & splat. I have sun ALL day from sunrise to sunset, the only protection I have at the moment is a short, widely spaced fence on the west side. By the time it provides good shade though is after the full intensity of the sun has started to diminish. :? :( It's usually hot and humid here so I should probably have some sort of shading.

Dono

oh and good luck. :D

bridgemontbelle
Newly Registered

[quote]The pictures of the actual garde area get about 4-5 hours of sunlight and you can see how they are growing.
Splat, thanks for your input. Great photos, by the way. My area gets no-where near 4-5 of sunlight - now I'm wondering whether I'm barking up the wrong tree. The bed is split in two sunwise and each half only get about 1-2 hours. Is it time to give up (before I've even started) and stick to my pots?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That is very little sunshine. Is there a way you could open it up more? I.e. if the shade is from trees, maybe they could be thinned or limbed up? There are plenty of beautiful shade plants you could grow there, but not so much veggies.

Nonetheless there are plants that will grow there. Some of them won't do as well as if they had more sun, some don't care. Mint for example will happily grow almost any where. Just be sure there are limits on it so it can't take over your yard. Lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, parsley, kale, fennel, should do okay there. Broccoli, cauliflower, beets, carrots may make it. Or plant it in perennials such as asparagus, raspberry, blueberry, rhubarb. None of the perennials will produce for you the year they are planted, but once established, they will come back more and more each year with little effort.

I have an herb garden that's pretty shaded. Herbs are usually full sun plants. I just keep experimenting with what makes it there. You may need to do some experimenting too.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've had decent luck with SOME things in my home garden, that until recently got only about three hours of the most direct, brutal, midday sun - about noon to 3pm, turnips, carrots...but some of the things I've been growing aren't really veggies, and like more shade (like stinging nettles). actually had tomatoes doing quite well there, setting fruit and all, in the mostly dark...but the big oak tree that blocked morning sun is now gone and things have changed (they clearly like it better now)...

applestar
Mod

I agree with SP8. In a situation like this, collecting and focusing light will make the difference. A decorative idea would be to arrange antique mirrors and mirrored/stainless steel gazing balls around the garden. White walls/fences and light colored mulch. Utilitarian idea would be to make use of aluminum foil vapor barrier or mylar film products in some way.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”