Rambo 09
Cool Member

The Oil Myth... Please voice your opinion!!

:arrow: Me and my mom are haveing a debate, Is it true that if you touch your plants with your hands or fingers that you leave oils from your fingers on the plant that could do any noticable damage to the plant?

:!: I want to hear everyones thought about this.... :!:

:!: Yes/ No??? :!:

crobi13

I think that yes, we do leave some oil from our skin on the plants we touch. Weather this is a bad thing for the plant depends on the plant. Some are more sensitive than others. For example, I know that cucumber vines do not like their roots touched at all. I don't know if that is from the oil in our skin or not though. :?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Oh ... well ... um ... I routinely dust my house plants with my bare hands. It hasn't hurt anything yet. Not even my African violets.

I handle my outdoor plants, as well, turning over leaves to check for pests, untangling stems, and so on. Again, I haven't ever noticed any damage.

[img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

Rambo 09
Cool Member

:P That is true... :P

:!: :arrow: Come on still... I want to here everyones thoughts! :!:

Diane
Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:Oh ... well ... um ... I routinely dust my house plants with my bare hands. It hasn't hurt anything yet. Not even my African violets.

I handle my outdoor plants, as well, turning over leaves to check for pests, untangling stems, and so on. Again, I haven't ever noticed any damage.

[img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

I agree with you Kisal. I do the same.
I wouldn't touch a sick plant and then touch another plant without washing my hands.

applestar
Mod

I can't think of the amount of oil on your skin being harmful on its own, but it could certainly act as a carrier/transfer agent.

I've heard that people who smoke can spread tobacco mosaic virus to their tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers by touching them after smoking.

If you ever handle optics, you know you leave a fingerprint no matter how clean you think your hands are.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Its not a problem for leaves and fruit because they have a natural wax coating anyway, but it will reduce the life of flowers somewhat if people repeatedly handle them. Some people get really bent out of shape about it, so never handle someone elses orchids or roses without their permission.

LBorders
Newly Registered

The only thing I have ever heard about touching plants is to not pick green beans when they are wet since it causes rust. But oil from your skin...... I have truly never been cautioned on that. My parents and in-laws are my closest advisors. I will be interested to hear from others.
Y'all have a good day.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

8) It is nice to ask a single question and get back so many true responses 8) :lol: :!:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Your right Rambo. People respond to interesting questions.

1. Will you leave oil from your skin on your plants if you touch them?
a. Absolutely
2. Will it hurt the plant?
a. Probably not. As others have mentioned, you can however transfer
disease if your not careful.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”