garcaj

Question on red / green onions:

Hello again, all~

Regarding harvest time for onions, I have read where the tops should fall over as an indicator the onions are ready for harvesting. Particularly with red onions and the like, what does it mean if the stems appear they will bloom?
Some of the red onions look this way yet they are very small still about the size of a green onion. The Cipollini onions have much smaller stems and are not near the surface so I am unable to tell their size.
The green onions look large enough and are bulb tops are at ground level and looking a bit "brown".
Thank you all again for your replies and suggestions.

A

garcaj

In addition to my previous question regarding onions, the shallots stems are very, very small. They are about 2 inches high, only and the bulb is tiny. Perhaps, I planted these at the wrong time? Should I transplant them into a container or someplace warmer? They are in a row in the same area as the other onions. My home is at an elevation of 6000ft. and we have had an exceptionally mild summer with less than two weeks of temperatures 90 or above. It is typically very hot here in May and June as we are in the high desert, but this was not the case this year.
I also notice the stems of the cipollini are thinner and more bunched up than the red and green onions but I am assuming I should wait until they began to fall over to check for harvesting. Is this correct? I did plant all of these at the same time in late April as spring and warm temps arrive at that time.

Many thanks for your help.
A

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”