garcaj

Oops-newbie gardener bean blunder

Happy Sunday, all~

This newbie gardener has discovered a much truer blunder than those in my previous entries.
I planted pole beans along a tipi style trellis to aid in shading the lettuces, spinach, cabbage, etc. in one area of the garden.
In a separate area, I planted corn and some black beans. I had also a small crop of pintos on another section with their own trellis.
However, I had several black and pinto seeds left and planted them alongside the pole beans, having no idea they would probably look very similar when pods start to grow. (I will divert some of that blame on the heat for melting my brain somewhat on that hot day :oops: ).
Some of the beans are ready to harvest and as I was picking some I realize I am unable to tell the difference. Am I correct that black and pinto beans need not be harvested until the pod is dry? Is it possible to tell which beans are which?

Many thanks~
A

applestar
Mod

:D I did something similar with my peas this spring... :D

Let's see -- were your pole bean seeds black? (like black seeded Kentucky Wonder kind of thing?) If not, then your black beans will be the only one turning black. I think, too, that black beans and pinto beans are more round than pole beans which are somewhat more oval and possibly flattened.

My suspicion is that black beans and pinto beans might actually be edible in the green bean stage, but the pods will have strings and be thinner/tougher than pole beans which will have meatier but tender pods that snap when you bend them. Black beans and pinto beans may also contain more beans per pod crowded together.

Does that help? :wink:

garcaj

Good morning!

When I picked the beans, I do not know why, but at that time it didn't occur to me that I did not realize what I was picking and put them all in the same bowl. I could not tell much difference by looking at the pods, and snapping them in two was no help because the "innerds" all look more or less the same, having small, light colored beans inside.
I am wondering if it is possible to tell the plants apart rather than the pods?
Thank you for your response. I will go back and study the pods according to your suggestions.

A very good day to all~
A

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”