Tammy42

Question, my first grn. peppers are from2-1/2-3 inches?

I have a question, my first grn. peppers are anywhere from 2-1/2- 3 in ches long, they have been that way for about two weeks now!!! I have read previous posts here that they won't get great big, like the ones in the stores, and that by picking the first ones like this the next ones will get bigger, should I do this or wait a few more weeks to see if they grow? Tammy

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When the plants are small they tend to make small peppers. When the plants grow larger they will grow larger peppers. My plants typically get about 3 1/2 ft tall but this year I fed them plenty of nitrogen and they are 7 ft tall. The banana peppers look like real bananas and the bell peppers are the size of grapefruits. They sure do taste good. I picked about 40 banana peppers today. I have about 40 bell peppers ready to pick. When the weather turns cooler the peppers get even larger.

Tammy42

So gary350, my plants are about anywhere from a foot to a foot and a half, they are also in containers, due to limited space in my yard!!! I also liquid feed them with miracle grow. Also the weather has turned cooler here, we are in our rainy season, what do you suggest or anyone can chime in and suggest? :?

Diane
Green Thumb

Tammy42 wrote:I have a question, my first grn. peppers are anywhere from 2-1/2- 3 in ches long, they have been that way for about two weeks now!!! I have read previous posts here that they won't get great big, like the ones in the stores, and that by picking the first ones like this the next ones will get bigger, should I do this or wait a few more weeks to see if they grow? Tammy
Your plants sound like mine. I picked the first one on each plant and the peppers growing now are larger and growing faster. My bell plants are about two feet tall. My jalapino is over three feet tall.
I always have trouble with peppers. My tomato plants are huge, six to seven feet tall and a few are five feet wide.
It could be the shorter growing time and the cooler weather.
The constant rain and slugs hurt some plants.
I'd pick those slow pokes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”