gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

? about Cantaloupe and Watermelon, Please

Alright first thing is how do you tell when to pick cantaloupe, I tried searching but didn't come up with much. I think I have some ready or very close.

Second thing I have some watermelon that have a little bigger than marble size fruit on it. Do you think that it is worthwhile to keep this plant in the ground. It is getting late in the season the plant is huge but the fruit just came on and like I said are very small. Thing is I'm getting ready to plant for the fall and that is a lot of space being wasted if the plant won't produce anything worthwhile this season.

Thanks Dono :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a nice little article about that:

*Read the cantaloupe seed description for an estimate of the number of days from seed germination to mature fruit. This will give you a rough estimate of when to expect to harvest ripe cantaloupes.

*Keep an eye on your melon vines and their produce as the melons grow. Check the melons every evening for about a week before the estimated date for ripe fruit to catch any early birds.

*Smell the cantaloupes at the stem. If they smell sweet and fruity, they are probably ripe. A more intense smell signifies a sweeter melon.

*Note the color of the cantaloupe. Cantaloupes take on a warm yellow hue as they ripen, slowly losing their greenish color.

*Look for a hairline crack where the stem joins the melon. The stem beginning to separate from the fruit is another sign of ripeness.

*Pull gently on the stem. If it pulls easily away from the melon, it is ripe and ready to be enjoyed. No tugging should be necessary.

*Harvest the cantaloupe and transport it, being careful not to drop or bruise your melon.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks RG that's pretty much what I though just making sure.

But what about my watermelons does anyone think they will make it or should they already be fairly big by now? I had nothing but male flowers until about 2 weeks ago. The melons are oh so tiny.

Dono

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good info on the cants.
I would let those watermelons grow.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yeah, you've gotten this far with the watermelon, I'd wait it out.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just checked it out and the one I was fruit I was thinking about has died. But I noticed 2 others ones is little smaller than a golf ball. So it's gonna stay. Thanks

Dono

Now I'm contemplating taking out some mators I have a few plants that aren't doing so well. We shall see what crazy things I will do. :o

Dono

rootsy
Green Thumb

Cantaloupe will slip from vine when ripe. Meaning the stem will easily pull off of the fruit.

Watermelon are ready when the portion that contacts the ground turns a nice creamy yellow...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rootsy wrote:Cantaloupe will slip from vine when ripe. Meaning the stem will easily pull off of the fruit.

Watermelon are ready when the portion that contacts the ground turns a nice creamy yellow...
Cool thanks, to everyone. I have 2 cant's that should be ready this week or next, I hope, they are smaller ones but still we shall see how they are. I did notice on those 2 that the stems are just beginning to split right above the melon. :D Only time will tell, I just got a sprinkler timer, anxious to see what effect that will have on the garden as well. No more forgotten waterings.

By the way there are around 10 cant's on this one plant I can't wait.
:roll:

Dono

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”