Shawn79
Newly Registered

Tiny black insects on cantaloupe

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have these black bugs on my cantaloupe leaves and can't tell what they are. There about the size of the end of a ball point pen and look like crickets as far as I can tell. They leave my other plants alone, and cover the cantaloupe leaves. Any ideas?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, but it might help if you could post a picture of them. Here's the instructions for that:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Are they doing damage? My butterfly weed (aka milkweed) usually gets covered every year in little milkweed beetles, but I've never been able to tell that they are damaging it.

Shawn79
Newly Registered

I did take a pic but they are so small they look like little black dots in the pic, not sure if it would help. Will post it when I have more time this weekend. I think they also fly. I'm thinking they are some kind of sap suckers do to the damage on the leaves now. Going to try some things to get rid of them. I'll let you know what works and if I find out what they are. Thanks for the reply.

pharmerphil

if you have many tiny holes, then they could possibly be flea beetles, I have had them attack squash, melon and pumpkins

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”