gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Planting a fall garden, got some ?'s

I'm planting a fall garden this year first time ever in my 10 or so year gardening career. :D :oops: I have been thinking about it for years and it never happened. I would just get burned out late in the summer. I have recommended dates for planting from a local ext. office but couldn't find anything for when to plant a few items I would like to try like onions, celery and peas.

Here is what I have came up with so far, by the way I'm in Zone 5b, the local ext. office posts 10\8 as the first fall frost. But around here that is WAY up in the air as far as frost dates go.

Mustard Aug 01-Aug 30
Broccoli July 25-Aug 05
Cauliflower July 20-Aug 05
Aruglua Aug 01-Aug 10
Carrot July 25-July 30
Brussles Sprouts July 25-July 30
Spinach Aug 01-Aug 20

So what do you think, do those dates sound right. To me they seem a little early. Plus I heard it may be a warm August and maybe even September.

Hell. I even mad a pretty cool little 'quick reference guide' mainly for myself to use. I would post it up but don't know how to post documents.

Dono

nes
Green Thumb

I would think just because it tends to get a little cooler in september then it does in july growth would slow down a little, but what do I know? :D

Thanks for that post though! I'm going to put in some more carrots tomorrow!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

nes wrote:I would think just because it tends to get a little cooler in september then it does in july growth would slow down a little, but what do I know? :D

Thanks for that post though! I'm going to put in some more carrots tomorrow!
Sorry I'm not following you. Are you saying that when it get's cool in Sept what you plant will slow down?

The above are cool weather plants. Some will overwinter, some will survive hard freezes, and most taste better AFTER a frost or two. :D

Dono

nes
Green Thumb

I guess shorter periods of day light would have been a better guess? :lol:

Sorry, I was thinking about my lettuce, it's been so cool this summer it is growing PAINFULLY slow, but their is probably another reason :)

I'm claiming mummy-dummies on this one!! :shock:
Last edited by nes on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

nes wrote:I guess shorter periods of light would have been a better guess?

Sorry, I was thinking about my lettuce, it's been so cool this winter it is growing PAINFULLY slow, but their is probably another reason :)
Your form Ottawa trust me you and I have TOTALLY different kinds of weather. It really doesn't get really cold here till about Jan maybe Dec. And that is 0-20's.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

anyone?

Should I plant these outside now like Aug 1 or should I wait and plant them outside. Or would I better off starting them inside and transplanting later.

Dono :(

applestar
Mod

I'm with you, gixxerific :?

I've been playing with fall plantings too, and the dates to plant these COOL weather crops sure don't jive with the weather outside! It's been so HOT -- nights too (though we're getting some upper 60's during the night for the next few days at last). But, I keep looking at the calendar and calculating back the days to maturity from the average first frost date, and thinking I really don't have much time left/it's too late. My understanding is (days to maturity + 1~2 wks) for things like peas that you want producing for a while and (days to maturity + 1 wk) for single production crop like carrots, broccoli and lettuce. At the same time, also want to factor in that broccoli and lettuce can be protected from frost under cover, and spinach and carrots until hard freeze (and with heavy mulch, even through the winter....)

The snaps peas I tried planting a couple of weeks ago are only about 6~8" tall and producing pods. :roll: Only 1 of the 6 pole peas have survived the heat and is now climbing the string (about 12") I sowed shelling peas a week ago. I'm sowing more snap peas today. It should be too late (for me) for pole peas at this point....

I don't have a cool basement/location to grow transplants, so I've been sheltering the pots of cole starts under the tomatoes and they're looking pretty wimpy. I don't know if they'd be better off IN the ground (only 2 true leaves yet) or in the pot. Some of them are already getting eaten by slugs and a couple of them fell over (dampening off or heat?) :roll:

I finally found a Spinach planting schedule for NJ and it says fall spinach should be planted on "August 10 to August 31st with harvest from September 25 to October 10" 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I know Applestar I'm confused too. They say to plant now but Aug around here get's hot. The forecast for next week is low to mid 90's. But will that effect a seed in the ground? Not sure but I assume that they should make it.

Laying in bed last night I was thinking, I might go ahead and plant in the ground with the suggested planting schedule. But I might also start some in little peat pots inside for backup, just in case. 8). This sounds like a good plan to me we shall see how it works. I might have to wait until tomorrow to plant outside though, cause guess what, it's gonna rain yet again here today.

I was gong to plant peas everywhere I can if only to fixate the soil.

I will try your way of maturity + 1-2 weeks and see how close those dates are with the dates I have. I don't know why the seed company's don't put fall planting guidelines on the packets only spring. :x

Good luck Applestar let us know how it works out, as will I.
Dono

Applestar I did a little searching and found this, it may be of a help there is a calender for planting in NJ. It is from your local Ext office. https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/publication.asp?pid=FS129

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”