kell5408

The weed that won't die!

Hi everyone...I have a nasty little pest in my garden that I can't get rid of and would like to know if anyone knows what it is and how to deal with it...I have tried round-up, spading, plucking them out one at a time...and they keep coming back...Please help
[img]https://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/kell5408/IMGP0401.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

kell5408 wrote:Hi everyone...I have a nasty little pest in my garden that I can't get rid of and would like to know if anyone knows what it is and how to deal with it...I have tried round-up, spading, plucking them out one at a time...and they keep coming back...Please help
[img]https://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/kell5408/IMGP0401.jpg[/img]

LOL :lol: Just came upon this post after I replied to one of yours talking about mulching. I believe that is crabgrass, what I was talking about, if not that is what I battle every year no matter what. Which is why I called it "the weed that could grow in Hell"! :twisted: :D

Dono

kell5408

I agree..this thing won't die but I don't think its crab grass...and it would grow in hell because I even tried to burn these little suckers and guess what ....less than a week there BACK!!! :lol:

applestar
Mod

That's not a pest! That's Purslane. High in Omega-3, vitamins and minerals, and a terrific addition to your salad. Also good in omelet (though cooking destroys the Omega-3) Best way to demolish them is by EATING THEM. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:That's not a pest! That's Purslane. High in Omega-3, vitamins and minerals, and a terrific addition to your salad. Also good in omelet (though cooking destroys the Omega-3) Best way to demolish them is by EATING THEM. :wink:
Are you kidding me. Really I am pretty sure I have that exact plant growing here and there. I will have to check when it's light again. It seems to be everywhere.

kell5408

https://2bnthewild.com/plants/H186.htm#BEAU
https://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Purslane.html
OMG check this out!!!Applestar you are my new best friend!!I had no idea...thanks so much

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, purslane! I've had to make a scene with DH more than once to leave the stuff ALONE--it's edible and it's a volunteer!

Which is more than I can say for my veggies. They're definitely not volunteers. More like molly-coddled spoiled little prima donnas, to tell ya the truth.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I didn't know it was edible! What a treat! So I looked up "purslane recipes" and found this:

Purslane-Potato Salad

From THE WILD VEGETARIAN COOKBOOK

Purslane makes this familiar dish seem ambrosial.
6 medium potatoes, sliced and cooked
2 cups purslane, chopped
4 scallions, sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 cup mayonnaise
Mix together all ingredients. Serve chilled.

Serves 6

I have to try it!

applestar
Mod

You're welcome! I remember when *I* first found out. :lol: Lambs quarters is another "weed" that are regular table fare now.

It's really fun to find out what else are edible and tasty. I *hide* them among other vegetables to trick DH into eating them. 8) Just the other day, I made a "Mexican" omelet using young Prickly Pear cactus leaves disguised as green peppers (only about 1/5 of the green pieces, all cut about the same shape, were green peppers :wink: ).

BTW -- with both purslane and lambs quarters, the stems are tough later in the season, so I strip them, but the developing and mature seeds add a nice crunchy texture (extra nutritious too!)

rootsy
Green Thumb

between the purslane and lambsquarter you could feast here... If you can find a use for red root pigweed we could feed the country

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Kudos to Applestar! I found this thread fascinating :o

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, its edible, but it is also a pesky weed. You have to pull it and toss it in the garbage can and send it to the landfill.

Cuke

So,you can eat the stem and the leaves of it,correct?I've always been pulling these guys,but now I'll have to try them out.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This is my first year growing a vegetable garden at our new home and I have been growing some good weeds. I have never even seen some them before but they sure do grow, I know as I weed it will get better with time. If you want to eat my weeds come on by.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Went out to check if it was purslane in my garden, but I could not find ANY weeds whatsoever. :D :shock:

applestar
Mod

Aww - did the Shoemaker's Elve's relatives move into your garden? They're feasting on your purslane right now, you know? :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have been fighting those plants in my garden for years. I have discovered the plant make 1000s of very tiny seeds. You need to cut or pull the plants when they are small and pick up the plants and take them away the cut plants will make seeds before it dies. It takes several years to retuce the population because the soil is already full of those tiny seeds. I have never eaten them, I didn't know I could. In the early spring it is the first thing to grow my entire yard is covered with a carpet of 1000s of tiny flowers. It looks real nice for several weeks then the grass grows and the plants are hard to see but they are still there.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I posted this in another thread, but with all the lamb's quarter and green amaranth in my garden, I've been eating probably twice as much weeds as I am intentional-greens this year...haven't seen any purslane all year, though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I didn't know it was edible! What a treat! So I looked up "purslane recipes" and found this:

Purslane-Potato Salad

From THE WILD VEGETARIAN COOKBOOK

Purslane makes this familiar dish seem ambrosial.
6 medium potatoes, sliced and cooked
2 cups purslane, chopped
4 scallions, sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 cup mayonnaise
Mix together all ingredients. Serve chilled.

Serves 6

I have to try it!
I never had actually made this, but I had a big purslane plant crowding out my container dwarf blueberry bush, so I pulled it and made this. Left out the scallions but added 2 fresh picked garden tomatoes chopped in to it. It is yummy! (and the purslane is very nutritious!)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

:lol: Man, I learn something new every time I visit this forum.

I just looked at this same "weed" about 10 min. ago and thought to myself that in a week or so I'll have to hoe the rows again. Perhaps I'll re-think that :wink:.

I'm going to have to do a bit more research, though, before I eat any of it. I believe you all that it's edible, but I want to make sure that it is really what I have growing and that there aren't any "look-a-like" plants that could be poisonous.

Still something interesting to know, though :).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I just ate a bunch of mine. If I die, I'll be sure to let you know! :)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Purslane can be confused with spurge, which is poisonous. The two are easily distinguishable, but they tend to grow in the same places. If you're not paying attention, you could pick some with your purslane.

Purslane has "meatier" leaves, while spurge leaves are flat with purplish or whte markings.

Below is a photo of spurge in my neighbor's driveway.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/spurgersd.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes; the leaves of purslane (Spanish: Verdolaga or Verdolagas) look like those of a succulent.

And the stuff is good raw or sautéed.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

john gault
Green Thumb

I have purslane in my yard as well and my question is, why don't the bugs seem to bother it if it's so succulent and nutritious?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Because it is not native

"Purslane has been cultivated for centuries in the areas of its origin; China, India, and Egypt for its succulent shoot tips, stems, and leaves."

All these exotics get so invasive partly because they have no insects or diseases here to keep them in check. They didn't evolve here, so nothing evolved with them, to be able to use them or get around their defenses.

A nice illustration of the problem with invasive exotics. It just happens that it is edible for humans, probably because we did evolve with them at some point.

john gault
Green Thumb

I'm sure that's part of the reason (on some level), but it doesn't explain everything. There are some non-natives that will be gobbled up by insects/animals and some that seem to fit nicely into an introduced environment. And then you got the invasives...

How many gardeners truly raise a native garden, especially when it comes to fruits/vegetables. Yeah then you got the hybrids, which in a way is not native to anything...

This is all very complicated, granted I'm confused by the issue -- no arguement there -- but very interested; I can't seem to find reading material to address these questions, but not done looking...

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure what aspect of native species and gardening you are interested in, but you may find some discussions interesting in Gardening with Native Species Forum
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Now we are drilling down deeper into the question and maybe past my level of knowledge. But perhaps the purslane has no close relatives native here? The introduced species that our native insects adapt to best tend to be ones that though introduced had close relatives here, especially other species in the same genus. It's not as big a gap to bridge.

Interesting questions!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Read Noah's Garden & Planting Noah's Garden by Sara Stein or Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants by Doug Tallamy for more on the natives vs invasives issue and how exotics function/ don't function in the environment.

john gault
Green Thumb

O.K., I found the first one in my local library will keep looking of the second one.

BTW, I'm very interested in this subject, but regardless of what I read I'm still going to plant them non-native fruits and vegetables :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well if you want to grow food, you have to be pretty hard core to limit yourself to natives. And many veggies are annuals. Since we tend not to let them go to seed any way they aren't going to spread. So your veggie garden takes up a bit of space that other wise could be natives, but that's not such a big deal.

Much more important is all the non-veggie garden parts of your yard, which for most suburbanites, is most of it. We could make a huge difference in protecting native species, not only of plants, but insects, birds, frogs, and many other animals, if we ripped out most of the lawn, all of the non-native flower beds and replaced with a diversity of native flowers, berries and other shrubs and trees. And it looks beautiful! Sara Stein is really good on the why and how of this (and her writing is beautiful, unlike Doug Tallamy who is more a hard science guy with a very pedestrian writing style).

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Interesting discussion, everyone!

A thought that comes to my mind is if purslane is native to the orient and middle east, would we encounter pest problems if we tried to grow it there?

applestar
Mod

What Rainbow said! ... and in order to and by creating a bio-diverse wildlife rich environment, you automatically limit the use of harmful chemicals and XXX-cides surrounding you and your family's environment as well as encourage and foster helpful teams of Garden Patrol. Win-win!! :()

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Hey, Rainbow-

Did you know about this?

https://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/farmlife/entries/2011/08/01/wildlife_native_plants_doug_ta.html?cxtype=feedbot

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

no, but I've heard him talk before. He's a good speaker and has tons of great information.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Interesting discussion, everyone!

A thought that comes to my mind is if purslane is native to the orient and middle east, would we encounter pest problems if we tried to grow it there?
Might.. theory says it would be expected to be a less rampant spreader and more in balance. I haven't been there or seen any one provide evidence of whether it actually works like that, but it makes sense. Less rampant spreader can mean there are insects/ diseases that keep it in check or other native plants that compete with it better, etc.

john gault
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Read Noah's Garden & Planting Noah's Garden by Sara Stein or Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants by Doug Tallamy for more on the natives vs invasives issue and how exotics function/ don't function in the environment.
Thanks again Rainbow, I just placed these books on hold at the library:

- Planting Noah's garden : further adventures in backyard ecology / Stein, Sara Bonnett.

- My weeds : a gardener's botany / Stein, Sara Bonnett.

- Noah's garden : restoring the ecology of our own back yards / Stein, Sara Bonnett.

And I found Doug Tallamy's book at my local branch of the library, so no need to place on hold.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Enjoy! :)

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

ok... I think this is whats growing in all my beds... never had it before, but this year I got a bag of steer manure to help the garden and since then my garden is full of this stuff... well this or the poisonous stuff. Either way I am constantly finding myself pulling it out of everywhere!!! :x

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cherishedtiger wrote:ok... I think this is whats growing in all my beds... never had it before, but this year I got a bag of steer manure to help the garden and since then my garden is full of this stuff... well this or the poisonous stuff. Either way I am constantly finding myself pulling it out of everywhere!!! :x
Go back to page 1 of this thread, there's a good picture. Purslane is quite distinctive in looks and texture, with thick leaves a bit like a succulent. The point we have been making is, if that is what your garden is full of, consider yourself lucky and start eating it!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”