Tammy42

Yah, today was pea picking day!!!!

I'm so excited everyone today was the day to pick peas!!!! It finally stopped raining and I was able to take advantage of the weather and get out to the garden and pick the peas that were big and thick enough, with the exception of possibly one I could have left on a little longer!!! Will post pictures of them when I figure this computer and the website out to send pictures of them!!! I do have a question though about, preserving them, since I only have six right now, should I put them in a ziploc bag and freeze them until I have enough to do something with? I should have some more ready possibly next week, everytime I turn around there are more babies on it!!!! That is just the pne container, the other one has blossoms on it, and should be putting out peas soon!!!! So excited, my first harvest!!! :D Tammy

applestar
Mod

Terrific! But only 6 as in pods or peas? :lol: EAT THEM! Most of ours never made it into the pot. :lol: When the production got going and I finally started cooking them (1/4" salt water steam/boil with some butter), the kids said "Wow! These are even BETTER!" :wink: They were so popular I never did get to freeze much -- I might have 1 pint or qt bag. Difference in weather patterns -- I planted a bunch of bush peas (already planted pole peas a couple of weeks ago) for fall production. More this time, hoping for some extras into the cold months.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I didn't have many, either, and even fewer of them made it into the house...just eat 'em raw, pods and all, in the garden (mine were Sugar Snap Peas, edible pods).

Or chop them into smaller pieces and add them to a salad, or use as a garnish for another dish.

Just-picked peas...I gotta go check on my new plants. I planted peas again on July 10th or so, and several have come up! :) (My yard is so cool/cold this year that I gave up on hot-weather veggies. But I can *always* eat fresh peas!)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Tammy42

Cynthia it six pea pods not peas. It is looking like I will have a slew of them.Once the first pea pods showed up they have been coming on like gangbusters!!!That's only in one container, we still have another one that has set to bloom to!!! I'm looking at maybe three or four big ziploc bags of them!!! You guys say the snap peas pods are edible? Thanks for letting me know brcause on another website they said I needed to shell them before freezing, true or not true!!! Tammy

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There are two general classes of peas that I'm familiar with:

"English shelling peas" where traditionally you shell them. But occasionally I've lucked up at Berkeley Bowl Market and gotten some English peas whose pods weren't so mature that they had lost their sweetness.

"Sugar Snap Peas" which were developed for use in stir-fry dishes, where the cook just wants to cut the veggies into smaller pieces and throw them into the wok/frying pan for them to cook quickly. These pods are entirely edible.

Do you remember what you planted? Do you have a seed envelope or printout?

Cynthia

Tammy42

They are sugar snap peas, just checked the tag. So if they are entirely edible, then I am not gonna bother with shelling. Tammy

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”