pepper4
Green Thumb

What is the Best Season or Month to Plant Onions?

I have an onion question. I live In ohio in zone 5b. If I plant onion bulbs or sets now will I get onions in the fall or do I plant them in fall for spring onions? Or maybe I can do both. :roll: I guess I am alittle confused with this fall planting. Is it more to plant in fall for spring crops or plant in fall and still get fall crops? Sorry if that sounds dumb. :oops: I was thinking about cabbage, cauliflower, onions and maybe radishes. Thanks in advance!

SP8
Green Thumb

As I'm not in America I can't offer any advice on the optimal timing for your planting but planting radishes is always a good way to get a quick crop while others are getting established.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Thanks SP8. Plan to do radishes soon. They seem to grow quickly although this time I need to space better and thin out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is a little confusing because there are a couple different things going on. Some things you plant in the fall to over winter and have in the spring; garlic is the best example of that, but you can probably do onions that way too.

Other wise you are planting cool weather crops in the late summer to have for fall. Bush beans you would be planting now. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, probably mid-Aug to early Sept, lettuce and spinach early to mid Sept.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

This might help

https://www.veggieharvest.com/vegetable-planning/zone-5.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”