Tammy42

Bummed downpouring here, so much for liquid feeding!!!!

I am so mad :evil: , downpouring again today!!!! Can't seem to be able to liquid feed my veggies because evrytime I want to it downpurs!!!! Couldn't on Sat. because it did the same thing, couldn't yesterday because it needed to dry out. Was gonna do it today, but is downpouring again!!!! I'm hoping for this rain to stop sometime so it won't kill my veggies will have to wait again for this stuff to dry out!!!! Don't know when I will be able to liquid feed now!!!! Show of hands, for your area raining and possibly ruiniing you veggies!!!! Definitely here in AK!!!! :twisted: Tammy

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Maybe you can make a stronger-than-recommended solution and apply it early in the downpour, so the rain will dilute what makes it to the plants' roots?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

stella1751
Greener Thumb

LOL, Tammy42. When it rains, it pours, right? Wyoming is the other side of the coin. We got rain last night, maybe as much as 1/10". That's pretty darned exciting. Our average rainfall here is 15", and it rains, maybe, once every two weeks. I am always so happy when it happens. Rainfall is so full of nutrients, and it lacks all the chemicals of regular water, like chlorine.

I can sympathize with you, though. I bred horses for 15 years in the Sioux Falls, SD, area, and extended periods of rain were the pits, literally!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Tammy42

Here to much rain kills things!!! I hope the rain gods make it stop!!!! Never know with the weather around here, like now we are having a windstorm!!!! Hope it doesn't snap my humongous pea plants in half or the tomatoes, or veggies!!! Tammy

Diane
Green Thumb

Tammy42 wrote:Here to much rain kills things!!! I hope the rain gods make it stop!!!! Never know with the weather around here, like now we are having a windstorm!!!! Hope it doesn't snap my humongous pea plants in half or the tomatoes, or veggies!!! Tammy
That sounds like the storm we had a few days ago. I had to tie up everything again and rescue some plants that were almost floating.
Since we've had rain almost every day and the plants are never dry, I just went ahead and added liquid fertilizer after the rain. I imagine some of it was used.
Gardens are a little bit of heaven on earth.

https://s600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87 ... G00047.jpg

codyjp

I'm in Los Angeles, and I've nearly forgotten what the 'rain' stuff you all speak of is. I was able to establish my watering schedule without any though of rain mucking things up. Good luck with the rain!

Diane
Green Thumb

codyjp wrote:I'm in Los Angeles, and I've nearly forgotten what the 'rain' stuff you all speak of is. I was able to establish my watering schedule without any though of rain mucking things up. Good luck with the rain!
I wish we could share the rain and you can share the sunshine. :)
Surprisingly, and unlike too much spring rain, things are going well.
I guess established plants can take more abuse than young ones.
I do hope you get rain.

splat42069

I always fertilize before the rain comes. In my opinoin the rain helps the fertilzer go into the ground. Seems to be working for me so far! :)

Diane
Green Thumb

splat42069 wrote:I always fertilize before the rain comes. In my opinoin the rain helps the fertilzer go into the ground. Seems to be working for me so far! :)
Around here anytime it isn't raining is before it rains. :)
What about pots? Doesn't the rain wash it out if you put it in before the heavy rain?

splat42069

I only have 2 pots and I just started them. For the info above I do that for my inground plants. Check my Sig to see how MG works wonders :) All with 4-5 hours sunlight.

Tammy42

Still raining here pretty soon will need a ark!!! Hopefully the liquid food won't wash out with the rain. Last time I did that- liquid food it started to rain to, but after it rained the plants seemed to look good. We'll see what happens!!! Tammy

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It rains like crazy around here as well. This year has been very wet. If it were me I would fertilize after the rain.

Tammy42

Problem is it rains all the time around here- it's are rainy season. Except for the last few days it has actually stpped. Proably when I go to liquid feed again on Tuesday it will down pour again!!!! Tammy

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Why must you liquid feed, why don't you use organic granular fertilizer if the rain won't stop. At least than the rain will work that into the soil.

Dono

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”